thread: Whats the go with nappies these days?

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Whats the go with nappies these days?

We're going to start off with disposables and I am so out of touch with them these days. I used Huggies with my two - was the only one that would last and not give them nappy rash, but I have heard a few people lately say that Huggies have been giving their bubbas rashes and the Aldi ones aren't like they used to be either... so I am lost with what to buy, really need to start buying things but don't want to waste time and money on crappy nappies (pardon the pun!).

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

I use the ones from coles. Can't remember the brand but they are in a white packet. We've used these for ages and have never had a problem.
    I also really like the ones from babies r us. Cheap but really good even for o'night.
    From what i uderstand, huggies are now importing from china, not made in aus.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

I personally haven't had any problems with huggies and still think they're the best but we've also tried the kmart ones that are $19 a box which with twins babies is great! But they started leaving through at night as they got older...were ok in the day but sleeping through 12hrs just wasn't working so we've gone back to huggies

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

I was adament that huggies were best when DD1 was little but she was in Aldi nappies by the time DD2 came along and we've never gone back.
    The aldi newborn were perfectly fine as far as i was concerned, never leaked (aside from the occasional MASSIVE overflow, but i also got that with huggies).

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Aldi or Kmart... works best for us.

Jul 2007
    melb

I still love huggies have not had issues with leakage etc. Aldi I used sometimes with DS1 no issues, DS2 times I have used they have leaked.
    Snugglers and Baby love never worked for my kids.

Safeway select and Coles brand (have gum nuts baby on them) have been good.

But I do tend to buy huggies as found to be great!

Add Little Chicken on Facebook

Mar 2010
    Melbourne

I have never had a problem with Huggies. Have used them for both my kids, and for over 7 years at work. Never had them cause a rash on any baby I have looked after.

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

Huggies all the way here Never have had a problem with them! Miss H NEVER got nappy rash EVER, until I tried her in a Pamper nappy...whamo! her lil girly bits flared right up!

We also tried the Aldi ones, as we were told how awesome they are....well, I couldn't get past the smell they have...BEFORE they go on bubs! I did try one on Miss H and again, she flared straight up in a rash..

Ahhh Huggies...I love you soooooo

Jul 2009
    Australia

My experience with huggies were they arent good for bubbas with chicken legs, my DD always leaked so we used the aldi newborns which we found great plus really cheap. Then we went with babylove (before the dry wave design) and they were good for a while then she started getting nappy rashes so we went between huggies/coles branded and aldi.

I now only use babylove as the new dry wave design is great shes not had a single nappy rash it hold a lot of liquid specially since my DD loves her drinks.

For the new baby i have a pack of huggies, aldi and woolies select to try and see what works for us.

Jan 2007
    Sydney

Can I be not very helpful & say it depends on the shape of your bub?? I have found different nappies have worked better or worse for my differently-shaped boys.

DS1 leaked terribly in Huggies (both newborn and larger sizes), but was great in Babylove or ALDI. For DS2, I preferred the Babylove newborn (with the poo-pocket thing at the back) to the Huggies newborn, but I honestly didn't find the sposies contained the newborn poo as well as cloth does. Once DS2 was older, we had problems with Babylove, but found Huggies are fine, as are the Coles Comfy Bots (they are the white packet ones that Sunshine mentioned) - they are really cheap & work quite well (comparably with Huggies).

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

Ive heard a few people say aldi are better for boys ds has used them since he was about 4 weeks old & we've been really happy with. I wasnt as keen with them for dd - bit of poo leakage (& she definitely doesnt have chicken legs ) but they're ok. Huggies have been good so far for dd but not happy with the coles brand. Havent liked babylove on either ds or dd (despite ds wanting to stop & talk to the boxes in the supermarket - they have the wiggles on them).

I think it does depend a bit on the shape of the baby/child

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 2008
    Home with my Son :)

I never like Aldi or coles ones, they leaked and there seemed to be a strong smell.. Apparently the new babylove dri weave ones are just as good as huggies, but I haven't tried them yet.

Oct 2008
    Victoria

Baby Love all the way here Love the poo poo pouch in the smaller nappies! Only other disposable nappy we have used are Huggies, however my oldest had a terrible reaction last year that looked almost like a chemical burn so haven't used them since. I found they leaked a lot too.

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

It's a shame you can't just get lots of sample packs so you can try before you settle on one sort! I know with dd we bought a box of huggies before she was born & then worked our way through a few sorts - you go through them so quickly when they're nb

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 2006
    Perth

I've been using huggies overnight with DD3 and they've been great. Had some pooplosions when she was in the newborn size but hey, nothing was going to keep that amount of goo in!!

May 2008
    Gtown

Whats the go with nappies these days?

Huggies here for overnight and the first month or so till he fit into the mcn I have. He has chicken legs and skinny waist!! Whatever you decided to buy just buy a small amount of until you meet bubs and see what size, shape you need :-) I find baby love and aldi not as absorbent as Huggies!

Jun 2010
    Northside, Canberra, ACT.

We started out on Hugues, because we were given to massive boxes, but found that DD would have poop.explosions alot of the time.. And then we tried KMart brand which were good, until she started leaking at night...
    Now we use Babylove and they have been the best. But I also think it depends on your bubba

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Jul 2007
    Melbourne

We use costco (kirkland) branded nappies during the day and huggies overnight. We have never had a leak with either child in any nappy so I just thought that people have the wrong size nappies on their bubs. (DD is 9kg but in 10-16kg nappies, not 6-11, for eg).
    Comfy bots from Coles (with the gumnut babies) is what we used for most of the last 12m of DS in nappies as they were consistently cheapest.