Thread: When did sposies become mainstream?

Default When did sposies become mainstream?

Just wondering.. coz a lot of friends tell me they never had the choice of using sposies, and HAD to use cloth, and their kids aren't really that old.

Does anyone know when sposies took over the world? hehe.

Mid 80's I think?

My brother & sister were both in cloth in the mid 80s, as far as I know it was still quite the norm then.

MiL had cloth in 1976 with BiL and a door-to-door salesperson tried to sell them sposies, but FiL wouldn't hear of spending more money so they stayed cloth.

Early 80s either was normal, a bit like today, but by 1990 sposies were normal and cloth odd. I think we're back to cloth being more common - I would say just over half of the mums in the groups I attend go cloth.

Well i was born in 1986 and there were sposies but it wasn't really the norm unless you were travelling.

When I was in nappies (i was born 1984) "everyone used cloth", according to my mum. she still has some of them and uses them as cleaning cloths lol.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

1994 - I used mainly cloth for big DS (13) and only some of my friends used cloth - most of playgroup used disposables. In late 80's they became more affordable I guess so people switched over.

Aah - yeah it doesn't seem to be THAT long ago huh. Well, lets hope it's just a passing phase. I think 20 years worth of disposables is enough landfill!

I'm 1980 & I was cloth. Mum was actually telling me the other day how she use to use two terry flats with a wool cover & that would be fine through the night.
    My brother is 1986 & I would say he was cloth too but I don't remember much of him as a baby. I don't know why I just have a bad memory.

Shane's youngest "other" kids are 15 and 17, and they were both in flannel and terry flats too. Double nappied up at night time. Gee whizz - sounds liek fun
    I heard on the catch up that the most common items sold at the super markets are:
    Coca cola
    cigarettes
    Huggies disposables
    In that order. Scary huh?

I totally agree, Shannon!

I love the fact that we dont buy ANY of them!! Makes me very proud