Thread: clothies and front loaders

Default clothies and front loaders

for those of you with a front loader washing machine, after doing a rinse cycle, do you use quick wash or cotton cycle for your nappies? i was doing 20min rinse cycle then 35 min quick wash, but yesterday it occurred to me that maybe that wasn't enough to get them properly cleaned so taday i did 20min rinse then 1hr50min cotton wash cycle.

what do you do??

I do a rinse cycle then either a quick one (maybe 30 min)....however, they come out cleaner (no orange flecks of poo!) if I do a cotton cycle after my rinse (2 hours or something ridiculous!). I usually chuck them in the machine around dinner time so I can hang them out overnight.

thanks cat, i found them cleaner after the ridiculously long cotton wash too, i just worried about the amount of water i was using

I do a prewash, then a long cotton wash (usually 40 degrees), then an extra rinse! Front loaders are UBER-efficient with water, and I noticed the difference when living with mum for 2 months and using her top-loader. Our water bill is usually 57kL usage - but at mums (and it wasnt even a whole quarter that we were there for) the water usage was 150+kL!!!!! (can't remember exactly). So all that washing I do with nappies etc in a front loader is nothing. heheh.

I usually try to put the wash on at night so it's finished and ready to hang out in the morning. That way I don't notice the rediculously long cycle LOL.

wow! i didn't ralise just how efficient front loaders are, thanks that makes me feel better about using long cycle

My quick30 cycle doesn't actually measure the load, so i reckon it may use more water than it needs to. The other cycles are all calculated before it starts, so it only uses enough water for that particular load.

I do about 3 loads a week of nappies, but I throw in all of Indah's clothes at the same time as well as any lighter coloured bra's, undies & socks from the rest of the family, plus all her bibs, bedding etc so it's always a massively full load & I ONLY do the quick wash & I have never had any issues what so ever...
    I use liners & flick poo into loo & rinse whislt rubbing with my hands any excess poo... But I havent done anything more than the quick wash...

I find the quick cycle doesn't even get my clothes properly clean tho. So I haven't even attempted it on the nappies.