Thread: DF thinks his way is best, I think my way is best- WDYT?

Default DF thinks his way is best, I think my way is best- WDYT?

DF as usual thinks he is right about the best way to wash our MCN's, but i (as usual) think i am right- what do you guys think?

His way:

please note he has washed our MCN's once since i bought them

All covers are put through with the rest of our clothes
    All boosters/liners etc are washed separately on a normal wash with liquid detergent
    Any poo'd on inside bits are soaked until he can be bothered coming back to them
    All line dried (because it happened to be a sunny day), hanging down

My way:
    Please note, i have done every single other wash...

All bits and pieces put in together, dry pailed for up to 48 hours
    No detergents, sometimes some tea tree oil if they are starting to smell
    Poo stains go in the sun, lying flat facing up if its a sunny day
    Yes, i have relied heavily on the dryer as it has been pretty wet and not so nice lately, but intent is to get them on the line as often as possible.

Critiques for either way welcomed, and happy to see any other tips people have.

NB, most nappies are itti bitty d'lish snap ins or similar, a few are all in ones, and a few are pockets

I think your way is best. MCNs shouldn't be soaked, it distingrates the fabric and doesn't make them last as long. Maybe tell your DF that if he keeps soaking them he'll have to fork out for new ones!!

Your way is best. Definitely shouldn't be soaking MCNs. They're not the same as the old terries, which our mothers would soak. You might like to get your DH to read the care instructions on the MCNs, because soaking will ruin them.

My way is to put all the nappies and covers through a rinse cycle, then a wash cycle with some detergent. Sometimes I'll add other clothes or towels to the wash cycle. The covers don't get washed unless they have poo on them or are really starting to smell.

I do pretty much the same as Seph except I have a front loader so we don't add anything after the rinse cycle.

Your way is best Soaking is a big no no from what I have read.

Your way.

I dry pail mine for about a day and a half - otherwise I don't have enough nappies for both girls.

I do a cold rinse, and then if I'm using Rockin' Green detergent, a hot wash, followed by a few rinses. If I'm using regular detergent, I do a warm wash. Then a few rinses.

But yes - you are right.

And I usually have to wash my covers all the time cos I use flats and DD2 still has explosive poos.. LOL

I agree with PP, your way is best. I use a small amount of washing powder (just enough to break up the water). I was using liquid detergent for a while but had problems with build up. I always do a cold rinse before washing.

I didn't realise soaking is bad for MCN's. I dry pail, but if DH changes a pooey nappy, he'll pop it in a bucket of water. Must tell him to stop that, otherwise he will be paying for replacements.

I do it pretty much your way too...Sorry DF is out of his league on this one lol!

I dry pail for up to 48 hrs
    All in the machine for a rinse
    Then do a full length wash - with Rockin' Green detergent

We'll I give your DH credit for trying to do a nappy wash - more than my DH was every game to do. But i think your method is the right one. I dry pail, then cold rinse, then cold wash in half strength liquid detergent (currently amolin for sensitive skin) and then line dry. Will line dry in the shade in summer otherwise they go too hard and stiff. But the sun is the only thing that can fade the poo stains.

Definetly your way but i do give your DH credit though when i decided to try DS on cloth DH made quite clear that if DS was in 1 he would NOT be changing him he hated using cloth so i give your DH credit for trying

I chuck everything in together including her clothes and towels and do a warm wash with half a scoop of Nappisan as detergent. I don't pre-rinse, figure I've already done that when I'm Little Squirting the poo's off, and they always come out really clean. Line dry in the sun for added bleaching effect.

All mine go in the wash with the soaks & undies load on 40 degree with about a 3/4 of the "normal" scoop of detergent, line dried. I don't hang them fancy I just get them done. I wash every day so they don't even go in a dry pail bucket just tossed in the wash basket & washed by the evening.

Thanks for the advice everyone, DF read the thread after some not so subtle hints from me (ie leaving it open on the screen for when he opens the laptop up next )

He was absolutely infuriating though and decided his way was right anyway, and because i did not mention that i sometimes leave my nappies in the machine overnight before drying all of your responses are voided.... I seriously wonder why i bother anymore, perhaps i should just accept that now i am on maternity leave this automatically makes me an id!ot who has no idea about anything?

I usually leave mine overnight in the machine (after they have been washed) and then give them another rinse before I hang them out.

So if thats what you do as well - its good to give a lot of rinses

See it as an opportunity... for him to wrck all your nappies and then buy you a new stash! He thinks he's right, you get more nappies, it's win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Audax View Post
    See it as an opportunity... for him to wrck all your nappies and then buy you a new stash! He thinks he's right, you get more nappies, it's win-win.
    ROFL

Yeah no soaking from what I've read, damages the elastic too.

your way. you don't need to soak, i don't even soak my terry/flanny flats!

I do a cold rinse, then a 30* wash with ecostore powder then they get hung out to dry (i have loads of nappies so I'm able to just let them hang til they're dry ) and all the covers and boosters get washed together!
    I do however seperate the shells and the boosters into seperate buckets, mostly to make sure that they are actually all apart when they go in the wash, (i hate pulling a nappy out of the machine and seeing its still all nsapped together!) but also so the amonia wee smell doesn't do the dirty to my elastics and PUL. Oh and sometimes with my last rinse i use some canestan.