Thread: Do you rinse off the poo?

Default Do you rinse off the poo?

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something or am I creating more work for myself? I have a "Little Squirt" and have used it since Day 1 to squirt of DS's poos from his nappies before dry pailing them to be washed (every 2nd day).

I've just heard from some other cloth-using mums that they don't bother rinsing poo off down the toilet - they just dry pail the nappy with poo on and then run a rinse cycle at the beginning of their wash to remove any poo.

This never occured to me as the thought of orange poo floating around my machine just doesn't seem right somehow..... however, am I alone in thinking this?

Does anyone else bother with the effort of bending over the toilet (often with my hand in poo-water) prior to washing?

Yep, I rinse it off too. We've got a little squirt also and think it's brilliant. If there is any poo left on the nappy, I'll spray some orange power stain remover on it, give it a quick rub together and rinse it off under the tap. So, my DS's nappies go into the pail with NO poo at all!

I don't think I could leave poo on the nappy. The smell is bad enough without poo!

hey

I use flushable liners so rarley do i have to rinse... but if the poo get onto the nappy itself than i do rinse it out. it seems more hygenic to me.

im a germ a phobe so i also use a hygenic rinse im my machine when i wash the nappies or even just with towels and underwere.

Yep I say rinse.....

A lot of people don't rinse of poo from their bub if they are exclusively breastfed as it dissolves in the water anyway.
    I think you'd still need to do a pre rinse though to be sure the nappies are being washed on clean water.

I've always rinsed poo off before dry pailing.

I have a little squirt too, but am STILL waiting for DP to attach it. For the moment I am using the laundry tap and tub. I rinse all pooey nappies off before dry pailing them. No way could I just leave them covered in crap sitting in the bucket. But that's just me. I also wash my nappies every second day. I hate having to wait that long too, but there is not enough to do a load every day of just nappies.

I leave newborn poo on the nappy.. nothing to rinse off really! I do a prewash cycle in the machine. Comes up fine

I have a little squirt which we use for DS's if we haven't used a flushable liner. I find I make so much mess with the little squirt coz it's too powerful LOL. I can't turn it down at the tap either coz then the loo takes forever to fill up.

We use a little squirt (and turn down the pressure a bit, it doesn't bother me that the loo takes ages to fill), and rinse both pooey and wet nappies before 'damp-pailing'. (Drypailing really)

I only have a prewash on the longest cycle on my machine so I don't bother with one and very rarely have stains. When I do they tend to come straight out in the sun.

Well, it seems people do a bit of both. My DS's poos are becoming a bit heavier (as he only goes every 2 days or so), so I'm going to keep squirting.

Liz, if you don't want to turn the tap down because it effects your toilet, you can unscrew the "on/off" knob on the little squirt. If it's looser, I think the pressure is a little less. Worth a go perhaps

We scrape here. I use the "poo stick" (retired wooden spoon) if its sloppy or just toilet paper if its more solid. Then straight in the pail. I find it smells more if the nappy is wet. The washing machine is really efficient and gets it all off without a trace. Then the sunlight bleaches them white (ish) again. All good.

Yes, I love sunlight! I've never soaked my nappies - the sun just bleaches any stains away after a short time - I've heard this is because the poo stains are UV unstable