Thread: Help! Absolute crisis washing nappies

Red face Help! Absolute crisis washing nappies

Help!!

We've had brown dirty water coming through all our pipes on and off since late last week. Stupidly, just after we noticed the water change colour, I did a load of nappies, not thinking and they came out with either dirt on them or are a grey 'dirty' colour all over. I have waited for times when the water is clear since then and they have had another 3 washes through the machine. There has been some improvement in that the dirt streaks are gone but they still look unclean and 'grey'.

Should I just keep washing them through a normal cycle and try to get them into the sun or is there anything I can soak them in safely without making them waterproof?

They are pocket nappies - Green Kids and Ecobubs mainly. I don't want to put them back on DS until they are clean and nearly half my stash is affected

TIA.

can you get hold of a sample of rockin green? that stuff is awesome!
    if you can't find any at the online stores (i think ecocubs sell it, ninky bear - if you're on face book there is a fan page) - PM me and i'll send you another to do a load. all you do is soak the stuff - it is better than a strip wash and you can just do it when the water is cleanish

Thanks BG!

ETA - I went to the main website and watched their video. Very impressive. I just ordered a samples pack through Ninky Bear.

What is a stinky? lol! Not sure I really want to know but I'm worried now I have them and don't know it

Have you been able to sun them at all?
    I think you will find this helps greatly.
    And although stained, they are prolly not really dirty..
    They should be fine to use.
    Sux tho...... poor fluffys

Quote Originally Posted by Livinthedream View Post
    Sux tho...... poor fluffys
    I know!! I haven't had any stains so far that haven't come out in sunshine and DS has been in them 15 months now. I feel so stupid for not realising the washing machine would have the same yellow/brown water going into it They have had some sun. It's meant to start raining here tomorrow At least I have a plan now though.

i just bought a sample too!

Default Help! Absolute crisis washing nappies

OMG Kaz my nappies are all horrid at the moment too - not enough sun down south!!!

The worst ones are DD's night nappies - they have gone a hideous grey colour...

I might need to try the stuff BG recommends too! Else bring on summer........

Yay!! I didn't know where else to get Rockin' Green apart from ecocubs and they are sold out- so thank you BG, I have ordered a sample from Ninky Bear

I hope it helps your nappies Kaz- how frustrating about your pipes!

I'd be worried about soaking them in anything, even rockin green.
    Personally I'd keep washing as per normal and hanging out in the sun.

Have you gotten onto your council and/or landlord about the water?

Rockin green is being recommended by many nappy manufacturers and is designed to be used with MCN's - it isn't anything like napisan or the likes. it is designed to be used with modern cloth nappies (and can be used on other products if needed!)

Quote Originally Posted by miss.cinders View Post
    Have you gotten onto your council and/or landlord about the water?
    Nah didn't bother. The water is running clear again and I've washed other non-contaminated nappies without drama since! Other friends in town had similar problems and I saw a burst water main late last week so I think that dirt just got into the line we're on and I'm pretty sure they've fixed it now.

OP - If you want me to send you a sample just pm me hun. I ordered the sample pack so I'm getting about 7 sachets I think.

If you have permanent staining to your clothing the council must provide compensation for it.....not sure the amounts, might be worth putting a call into council

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kaz~ View Post
    It's meant to start raining here tomorrow.
    Use this to your advantage... put them out for a rain rinse! Can't get fresher water than that!