Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prewashing nappies

Default Prewashing nappies

When you prewash cloth nappies, can you just pop them throught 3-4 continual washes, then dry them, or do you have to wash - dry - wash - dry etc... ?

Custardtart Guest

Why would you need to wash them more than once? That's a new one on me! I only washed and dried mine once then used them.

Kerrie

Candice are you using the hemp and prefolds? If so they need to be washed, dried and washed again for at least 3 times before use.

Otherwise for all my other nappies they just get the one prewash before using.

HTH

ow... cool. I was always under the impression that I would have to wash them severeal times to get their absorbancy up

Yep - you will find the more you wash, the better they get at absorbing. Its a strange, but great thing!

I received my first 2 pocket nappies today (hooray!) and I was told to simply wash the main part, but the inserts, especially the hemp one, would need a few washes to get absorbancy up. Good question about whether to dry in between. No doubt I would have come up with the same question some time soon

Actually, I never dried my hemp prefolds or nappies in between LOL. I just gave them 3-4 washes in a row with a really good spin in between and they seemed to absorb heaps after. Never got any leaks anyway LOL.

I haven't actually washed any of mine yet... and was just wondering if they lint? Coz I was considering chucking them in with a couple of towel washes to begin with, but if they're gonna leave fluff everywhere (like new towels do) then I'll wash them separately.

New nappies can lose quite a bit of fluff for the first few washes. I found terry nappies like tots bots and terry squares to be the worst! Hemp sheds quite a bit too. 20 mins or so in the dryer can help get rid of a little. And if you have fleece stuff then you might want to wash it separately as it's a major fluff attractor (I learnt that the hard way LOL!).

Excellent. Thanks Angel.

I washed my hemp & cotton prefolds yesterday... and OMG the lint!! LOL. I'm glad I didn't have the microfleece in there! Altho, I did a load of washers and stuff afterwards and they got covered in the fluff (coz good ol' me didn't check the machine for all the lint )

Forget the absorbency... they need all these prewashes just to get rid of the fluff!

AmyBaby Guest

Hemp and Bamboo from where I bought our nappies have to be washed 3 times before use to get the absorbency up. I didn't dry in between, i just did three straight washes.

They say that maximum absorbency isn't achieved for several more washes after that anyway, but 3 to start with is enough to get you going.

Hmm.... seems there are different opinions! I have emailed BBH - but they haven't replied yet & I want to start washing! Does the fluff still come out of the nappies properly if they aren't dried in between? After these first 3 washes, I want to be able to wash them in with clothes - will they still be fluffing?

Ah - just got my reply from BBH...

Depends really- if you dry them in between, your nappies will shrink down to the right size a little quicker, however it wont affect their performance. Personally, I wouldn't bother with drying in between- they'll still work the same )
    I don't think I'll bother!

Ok, BBH usually put care instructions in with the nappies. But it is also on their website. You should prewash 3 times, no need to dry in between. But full absorbency takes about 10 washes to reach, and believe me you'll notice the difference. So avoid using them at night until then.

I can't believe how much fluff they generate! I think it will be a while before I can wash them in with anything else. I thought I had picked all the fluff out of the machine afterwards but today, when I washed all our dark clothes.... oops!

With my hemp, bamboo and prefolds I always soak them in a bucket with warm water, ie squeeze them under water to make sure they are completely soaked through before I put them in the wash pre-rinse and then 1-2 cycles and hang them out to dry and we've never had any problems

why wouldn't you just wash them once and then use them? as they get used and washed the absorbency will increase and you won't waste so much water.

washing an already clean nappy is a bit wasteful, and for the sake of increasing absobancy when you are expecting only newborn wee is a bit redundant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast