Thread: Stinky Bamboo Flats!!

Unhappy Stinky Bamboo Flats!!

I stuff my greenkids dreamy night nappies with a bamboo flat, an insert and a night insert from my peapods, they last the night so I am happy with that. What I am not happy with is that my bamboo flats are very smelly. I only have 2 night nappies (am hoping to get hold of some others) so am washing every second day at the moment. I put my nappies in a bucket with the lid on in the laundry, and come the second day the bamboo flats stink, its a real strong toxic smell. I have tried rinsing them before putting them in the bucket, have tried bi carb soda in the bottom, have stip washed them, have had them out in the sun all day, but they still stink. Does anyone have any other suggestions that I could try?
    TIA

You could try a pre rinse with a bit of dettol rinse and then a wash cycle using hot water.

I know that eye watering smell well

I actually use the detol rinse in the final wash, so in the part when it would normally have fabric softener, for our clothes, I will add the dettol to that rinse.

Makes my nappies come out smelling that much fresher. I too hate that smell. I so wish I could have my nappies smelling of nice fresh washing, but I know if I do that I am ruining them too.

They smell great once they are washed, its the sitting in the bucket waiting to be washed when they start to get that toxic smell.
    Will definitely remember the detoll rinse tho

Lee, I thought you meant you couldn't get rid of the smell once they'd been washed. If they're just stinky when they're in the bucket I wouldn't worry about it. All bamboo stinks once it's been weed on, particularly with those teething wees!

I think I need a gas mask for when I empty my nappy bucket, but I just make do with holding my breath And I rinse the bucket out with water and then lavender disinfectant, so it smells fresh at least for little while