Thread: Which Washing Machine?

Question Which Washing Machine?

This might seem like a weird query, but our baby's not born yet so we're not up to cloth nappies. However, we have to buy a new washing machine and I want to make sure it's up to the job of washing everything baby related when the time comes.

Please tell me how big a washing machine needs to be to contend with the demands of baby, especially loads of cloth nappies. I have no concept of how much washing I'll be doing.

Does anyone have any recommendations about what to look for and what to avoid? It's just a big cost and I don't want to get a machine that isn't up to the task.

I bought a new 8kg Fisher Paykel 6 months ago and it's fantastic, but before that I had a 12 year old one and that was 5kg and did the job just the same.
    Mine has an auto water level so it senses how much is in there and puts in water accordingly....so I don't have to feel bad doing only a small load in my huge machine IYKWIM?
    My mum has just bought the top of the line FP one and it doesn't have an aggitator in the centre. When I use hers I don't feel like the nappies are as clean....dunno if it's real or not - guess they get extra 'care' in her machine rather than getting bashed about in mine lol.

I have an LG 8.5kg top loader with no agtitator and it is the most brilliant thing I have ever purchased! I love it to bits... it gets a huge work out in my home as my husband is a marine fitter and he gets FILTHY, but his clothes come out brilliant. My brother and SIL also do their washing here once a week... being that it is so huge, they get most of their weekly washing done in 1 load.

I have a FP 7kg which is baout 6 years old and I love it. I would get as big as you can afford, as Kim said it senses the water level so there is no waste for smaller loads and its really handy for those big loads that kids seem to create!

I'm looking at a new machine as well so going to be watching your post as well.

Also a tip you can get a rebate from the Gov for water efficent machines. I think its $150

Good Luck

We also just recently purchased a Fischer Pykel 8-9kg washing machine and yes it auto senses the water level - JUST BRILLIANT!! The only thing i don't like is that it rings them so dry that the clothes wrinkle alot, but they def don't take very long to dry when this happens. So I have been choosing a different wash cycle of delicates and it doesn't spin/wring them so much. Mine does not have an agitator, but I am just loving how much or how little I can put into this machine.