Thread: Washing NEW nappies?

Default Washing NEW nappies?

Ok so i am finally getting the hang of this washing and ironing thing lol

Now i want to wash all my new nappies, as ive heard you should to help with how they absorbe??? how many times do i need to do this and what should i use? wool wash? normal powder (we use sensitive already) can i add anything like essential oils?

how do you wash your.....? LOL

I use pockets with bamboo inserts and bamboo fitteds so washed all the inserts and fitteds 5 times before use to fluff them up nicely. How many times you wash them would depend on the material I would imagine.

Just wash in plain water if you were wanting to build up the absorbency. Not wool wash. I don't even use detergent any more, kept on getting too much build up on my nappies.

And FWIW, I'm pretty slack, I don't even wash my new nappies - I just put them on the girls, and then after an hour, take them off and wash them. Then I just let them wear them, but take them off sooner than their other ones that have been "washed" in.

I did all my prefolds & covers last week. Just hot washed them.
    I had a few that mice had poo'd on so I hot washed them, with a soak, with a drop of eco store dishwashing liquid.

ETA - none of them had PUL. For a first wash with PUL I'd just use cold water. No detergents needed really. I rarely use anything on any nappies, except in a strip wash
    Dirty nappies might get a hot wash & soak, but still no detergents here. DS is too sensitive.

Same as Mel, I'm a bit slack with the whole prewashing thing. And with NBs you only get a very short time in the nappy so I think DS's only got the 1 prewash. DDs used to go straight on her.
    They say 5 times for bamboo.
    I use bicarb (2tbs) on my nappies and 3 drops of essential oil in the rinse (usually lavender or teatree - got that tip from Limeslice).
    I'f I'm in a rush I just use a 1/4 scoop of regular powder.