Thread: Boosters/Liners Question

Default Boosters/Liners Question

How many layers of flannelette should you use for a booster? and is it better to make the top layer mircofleece? Is a rectangle ok, or is there a better shape to have them? Whats a good size & does that change with the size of the nappy?
    Thanks

How many layers of flannelette should you use for a booster?
    Hmm, usually I use hemp and bamboo for boosters (as well as microfibre), but flannelette should be fine for a newie, I'd use maybe at least 4? Dunno...you don't want so many layers that drying time is forever. You could perhaps make a 'bi-fold', say 3 layers of flannelette that folds in half to give you 6 layers, but a faster drying time than a smaller 6 layered booster. Does that make sense?

and is it better to make the top layer mircofleece?
    I wouldn't say so necessarily. Top layer microfleece could be good for lay in boosters, but if you leave out the microfleece, then you can use the booster inside a pocket too. Perhaps you could do some with and some without? I find that my newborn does well without a stay dry layer on his butt, it's just as they start to teeth and the poop becomes more potent that I find I want to keep the butt dryer.

Is a rectangle ok, or is there a better shape to have them
    I have mostly rectangles, a few hourglass shapes though. I guess hourglass shapes could be good for tummy sleepers maybe, covering a greater area at the front? Both mine are tummy sleepers though, and rectangles do fine. It's probably a personal preference thing. Not confident I'd be too good at overlocking hourglass shapes though. :P

Whats a good size & does that change with the size of the nappy?
    Maybe measure an insert you already have? That's how I did it at first. Somewhere between 30x12 or 30x15 for boosters/liners, and trifolds about 30x30 or 30x40. Those are pretty standard sizes I think.

Don't forget to pre-wash your material in case of stretching or shrinkage.

Thanks Nelle

I remember when Maz got some cheapie nappies of ebay made from 6 layers of flanelette they took ages to dry! Hopefully she will see this and reply but I recall a 3 hour stint on the dryer and they were still damp!
    HTH

Mmm, sounds like a flannelette bifold or trifold might be the way to go then...

It doesnt matter if they take hours to dry, I have nearly 10 meters of flannelette my mum bought to use up. Im planning on getting some bamboo shortly though so I have some of each.

Where do you buy the bamboo from?

The spotlight staff had no idea what i was talking about.

Ta,

k

Lol, coulda told you that, most nappy making fabrics are a mystery to them! :P

SnapsAustralia have bamboo at a fairly decent price if you buy it 2m at a time. There's been a few nosing around for bamboo lately, we might be due for another co-op from there soon...