Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #5

Good one Mrs C. So cute of your DH.

I am going to try and get my flongies done over the weekend... wish me luck...

how did u go with the longies Rufalina?

have finished all the nappies and boosters, and have made one wetbag so far too

Hi Everyone!

I've sort of lurked here for a while... Love cloth, love sewing, got no kids yet though

BUT... SIL came for a visit with her 9 week old a few weeks ago and I *accidentally* steered her past a couple of MCN stalls at a market, and she's a convert. So I've bought her a couple of pockets, and I'm making some inserts.
    And I thought.... if I'm buying insert/liner fabric, maybe I should by a little more, think about making her some practice nappies? (and hopefully some of my own very soon?)

So I want IN to this little cloth nappy making club! Where should I buy from, what's standard price, what do you love... please can you tell me things that you wish you'd known when you started?

Cheers

Kath

Make your practice ones from stuff about your home or cheapie fabric from spotlight. I made some shockers first go

Once you get the elastic and velcro right then lash out on the lush stuff.

Cool! Thanks! I have some old shirts that are ear-marked for just that.

hi everyone, i lurke from time to time, but rarely post.

i've been making pockets from fleece and cotton, recycled PUL and micofleece, and was really happy with the results. So i bought some new PUL and suedecloth and made a few more- the last one i made was almost finished when i realised... i sewed the suedecloth on backtofront! i don't know if i can bear to pull off the elastic and unstitch the whole lot to start again, i was wondering if anyone had ever made this mistake? what did you do to fix it? my only idea was to find enough spare suedecloth to hand sew a large section inside so baby's bum stays dry.

oh no you duffa

I've done a complete pull apart and remake. Frustrating because it was overlocked, but I was happy with the end result.

you know raven, after i spelt out that it was just the elastic and straight sewing, it didn't seem so overwhelming. i haven't done it yet, but figure it' can be acheived while half watching tv one night.

i'm more frustrated with the sewing machine. its a brother 2600.. i got it for under 200 on sale at sl about 6 months ago. lately it's been skipping stitches and tension wrong etc so i cleaned it of fluff, changed the needle and now it's even worse. the needle doensn't go back into the right position- it's slightly left from tightening the screw. i'm scared to try to finish the two nappies that only need velcro sewed on- i don't wanna stuff it up.. it makes me so cranky, so i rang spotlight to ask for technical assistance. gonna take it in today when the little ones wake up.

Apologies for not reading all of the pages.....lots of them! Could someone explain what PUL fabric is - I assume it is waterproof, what is the best to use and where from?

Oh and for those who use velcro for fastening - do you find it picks up fluff and eventually doesn't work? I have seen one pattern that makes a double thing on the hook corners to turn over the hook before washing to prevent this but am still not sure it would work.

How many prewashes do I need to do on bamboo to get all the shrinkage done, and how hot can it go in the dryer? I dont want any curling.

sorry babe....i wasnt on yesterday afternoon

I prewash my bamboo 3 times in hot water then wack it in the dryer on the highest setting to take away all the shrinkage . Make sure the 'fluffy' sid eof the fleece in on the inside (if you go tit in a roll) cause otherwise you'll have heaps of lint in the dryer. I also allow my bamboo to dry in the air for a day beforehand otherswise its in the dryer all day

sorry ausgirl for the late reply- PUL is polyurathenelaminate- breatheable and waterproof. you have to buy it online- where you can probably get all the info you need. shiny side in.

velcro is fine for fastening, i prefer it to snaps as it's easier for my fingers (esp in the cold). i make my nappies with the laundry tabs you spoke of, as i like to fasten the velcro hooks as soon as i open the nappy so nothign gets hooked (the carpet, my dreds). if you get fluff stuck in it, as happens sometimes, just clean it out with a comb.

You will get curlage Ali but it smooths out. I found that the curlage was worst when the fleece was dried all the way in the dryer but it ironed out alright so I could cut it straight.

I'll wash it in hot then on the line till it's mostly dry, then finish it off in the dryer

Ausgirl you can get PUL from most of the nappy making supply online stores. A few are tinytoosh, nappiescovered, fairyfabrics, bubbaearth.

bubbaearth sell some that is cheap and it works really well. It's plain white (comes in lavender too) and not really all that flash to look at but if you're worried about spending a lot to begin with then I recommend it. You can make it a hidden layer as well so then it doesn't matter how plain it is There is a nappy in the gallery that I made for Caleb and now I've passed it onto Mateauz and it's still going strong If you can't find it I can PM you a direct link to it

i was wondering how many layers of fleece ppl use when making fleece pockets? i just use one layer of thick polar fleece for the outside (covered with batik cotton for style), and micro fleece as an inner layer, and have found it to work fine, but i noticed on the nappy supply sites it says to use two layers for the outer shell. does anyone have suggestions?

hi all, hows everyones sewing going?
    I am soo pleased with the prefolds i made wish i'd made more so we could do every 2nd day washing, but with bub here (and veru colicky!) i not hae time to make more so ibought some...and they are nowhere near as goodm theyre really small, especially after washing so she wont get much longer out of them!!

I'm thinking i'm gonna have to start thinking about fitteds and pockets for her soon...depending how quick she grows perob need them in a month or two. naturally i want to sew my own but gotta find the time somewhere!! so wat are suggestioons for patterns? do i go with the free wee weka ones ot do i look to buy one?? i'm happy to buy one if they are better! also..how to know which size to start with??

I made some wee weka pockets and fitteds, but I am not convinced on the fitteds. I liked them for the pockets... But I did have to really shorten the rise (sew the velcro lower down), as I had big leg gaps...

But I have not tried any other patterns... I am pretty slack with my sewing. You could trace a nappy and make your own pattern too...

thanks for replyoing rufalina!! good theory on tracing a nappy...cept i dont haveany!

The wee weka pattern is good Go for the s/m pocket one I think. Make up one and adjust as you need to so you get a good fit. I haven't tried the fitted nappy pattern though.

I've made very baby fitteds which are terrific and there are some great tutorials with photos to help you work it out

My sewing has been non existant Feel a tad sad about it too.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast