Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #5

oh no 40cm insnt to long hon...fold it the other way and you get 4 layers instead so on big booster that is 30cm long and still 10cm wide but more compact boosting.

prefolds are easy...love making them but I tend to get a strip of bamboo in the middle and 2 layhers of toweling either side.

Ive just made a nappy for a fellow BB girl as a pressy for her daughter....cant wait for her to get it

oopps wrong forum - time for me to go to bed

Hhhmm- just thought also that the third bamboo strip (for the centre) can be sandwiched between the other two layers!! Me is clever!
    Maz- do you do the towelling thing to save on the bamboo? (not being cheeky but can't work out how else to word it!) I would have thought the bamboo would be more absorbent?

yes. if you make the whole prefold out of bamboo how are you goign to use a snappy on it? It has nothing to grip too. It would take forever to dry also AND would be extremely chuncky and heavy on bub.

the towelling is light in weight, folds nice and compact and dry's nice and quickly. PLUS with a NB you dont need to wrory aobut them keeping it on for hours and hours....a NB will shiat in it normally before its due to be changed

I have so many questions... Do you use a single layer of bamboo in your prefolds? And do you have towelling pieces either side, or one big towelling backing with a strip? Arghh! Prefolds confuse me SO much! I have made 3 fitteds, but can't do a prefold!
    OK, I haven't tried yet, and TBH I could make one, I just don't know what works best. What towelling do you use, maz? And what measurements do you make it to?

There is a great tutorial on the verybaby website. They have a lot of great tutorials there too! I can pm you the link if you have trouble finding it but it's pretty easy to negotiate.

I made prefolds for Susie. I used two pieces of double sided bamboo towelling 30x30, and two strips of hemp jersey for the middle layer (10x30). put down one big piece, put on top the two thin pieces of hemp, then topped with the other piece of bamboo. sewed down the side of the hemp bits so it looked like three columns, then overlocked all the way around the outside I've been so so happy with them! I only wish Id made more...I bought 12 of the booroi ones, and to be honest, I'm disappointed with them. they shrunk quite a bit and they're much buliker than what I made but no more absorbant! so they're my emergency ones if the others arent dry!

Well done hon they sound perfect. I mademine vertially the same but used bamboo fleece and yep was over the moon with them...i still have some around here somewere lol.

So when you talk about towelling Maz, you don't mean bamboo towelling or that would take ages to dry too?? Just normal Spotlight towelling?
    I have one Booroi prefold that someone gave me and I thought it was all bamboo but must be wrong. Never actually used it as I only got it recently and bub still cooking!! Just checked the Booroi site and they have 100% bamboo fleece down the centre and outers of bamboo terry. Now even more confused!
    ETA: uuummmm just had a thought, is terry and towelling the same fabric??

Raven
    Can you please PM me the link as I have had a look but can't see any tutorials under service other than a snap press one!
    Many thanks!

Cheers MrsC - that sounds brilliant.

And I love that your bubba is called Susie. It's so pretty.

thanks for the encouragement!
    Snuggly - yeah i love it, fits her perfectly! she really was Curly Sue yesterdy after her bath - hair everywhere! Congrats on lil one in ur belly!!

No one interested in cloth nappies anymore lol.

Me I am!!!! Lol. I have MCNs as well but looking for the "pattern" for prefolds? I want to go old-school lol. Does anyone have a pattern they could send me?

I am!!! I am considering giving it a go.
    Any tips for beginners? I can usually only sew in a straigt line, but curves can't be that much harder can they?? OK slight exaggeration there, but YKWIM...

you don't need a pattern for prefolds. do you have one you can measure? if not i can measure mine to get dimensions.

basically just a square/rectangle with extra layers in the middle third.

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post
    you don't need a pattern for prefolds. do you have one you can measure? if not i can measure mine to get dimensions.

basically just a square/rectangle with extra layers in the middle third.
    Awww.... what I saw must not be a "prefold" then :-( I saw a mummy who had terry nappies that were the triangle kind of shape but curvy edges ITMS? Does anyone have a pattern for those? They looked lovely

Default Re: Cloth Nappy Making #5

They're fitteds, but no I don't have a pattern. Google it.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast