Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #5

ok.. I have some flannie, bamboo singled sided terry and some bamboo fleece - am going to try and make some prefolds.

Was going to do bamboo fleece, flannie (as the insert) and more bamboo fleece... would it be better to do it the other way around with the bamboo as the booster in the middle and just a flannie cover??

Any advice or hints are welcome (first timer here .. Also have some fabric that I've forgotton if it is microfleece or microfibre - any help is more than welcome

microfleece is like polar fleece jumpers, but with smaller nubly bits.

microfibre is very absorbant and if you rub your hand over it, will catch on any rough bits. good luck

thanks kazbah - think I have polar fleece - although its pretty soft and fluffy - might put some water on it and see how absorbant it is

the water will just pass through microfleece, it needs something absorbant behind it ...

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by tarkine View Post
    ok.. I have some flannie, bamboo singled sided terry and some bamboo fleece - am going to try and make some prefolds.

Was going to do bamboo fleece, flannie (as the insert) and more bamboo fleece... would it be better to do it the other way around with the bamboo as the booster in the middle and just a flannie cover??

Any advice or hints are welcome (first timer here .. Also have some fabric that I've forgotton if it is microfleece or microfibre - any help is more than welcome
    Tarkine, the fabrics are divided up, (in MCN Land) by their FUNCTION

e.g absorbent fabrics
    for boosters, trifolds, fitted nappy body layers, hidden soakers in aio's
    bamboo terry
    bamboo fleece
    hemp terry
    hemp fleece (sew fluffy side out, otherwise it balls up after a few months of use)
    sherpa
    flannelette
    cotton
    microfibre

e.g staydry fabrics
    for liners, inner of pocket nappies, inner of aio's,
    microfleece
    suedecloth
    microchamois

e.g waterproofing fabrics
    for nappy outers of pockets, aio's, also to make covers out of
    PUL
    pro=care
    malden mills fleece 200wt *use double layer, or 300wt *use single layer
    polar fleece *use double layer
    wool (once it's lanolised)

then there are fabrics like minkee that come in two types
    minky laminated to PUL
    separate layer of minky, over separate layer of PUL

see places like fairy fabrics, nappiescovered, bubba earth, the weewuns, nappyworks for MCN fabrics, notions (aplix, elastic etc) and snaps australia for the snaps. lots of other sites, they are just the first ones i coudl remember.

thanks gigi... all starting to make sense now

would it be better to do it the other way around with the bamboo as the booster in the middle and just a flannie cover??
    Doing it this way would reduce the bulk a great deal. What I have done is to have a layer of bamboo with a booster sewn to it sandwiched between the flanelette layers. Add an extra lay in booster of bamboo (2 or 3 layers and cover it with the flannel to match the nappy body) and you will have a great looking and absorbant nappy

Ive just been NAUGHY!!!!!!!

I dont get fluffy mail in the form of nappies anymore ...well not much so I bought material fluffy

white minkee...noice.....grape gelato..... noice..... and white PUL

Ive also just pulled out what is left of the 5+m of white dot minkee I bought this time last year...and theres only 1m left :OMG: were did it all go...I must have moths!

Raven.. don't know if my nappy will be great looking!! I haven't sewn for a few years and my sewing always comes out looking very 'creative'!! Thanks for the advice. it is greatly appreciated.

I am definitely not going to venture into the PUL patterns - just stick with prefolds .. leaving that one up to the experts!

Maz - love ur christmas covers - am going to have to be patient and wait til next christmas before I see little bo's butt in one of your covers!!

....Ive only just tread downt he path of nappy making...its so nerve racking...give me covers anyday and I dont think I'll be going anywere so there will be plenty next year

PUL scared the crapola out of me...I didnt know what i was doing properly but da da...i worked it out and it sort of works for me now

:OMG: Ive jsut realised...I have 10m of black polar fleec eon layby at Spotlight....were the hell am I going to hide that?????

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

wow Maz, they must breed mighty big MOTHS where you live, hon!

lotsa black polar fleece - i can invision Maz covers with an applique of skulls on it, and candy pink something - that part of the dream is a bit fuzzy. but lotsa people love putting bubs in black and pink together.

i think cherub's kiss did a special edition once of skulls on roses, that was very popular.

or a red spider, on the black cover.
    or a red ladybug?
    or an apple with a worm coming out of it?
    or a red love heart?

so many simple outline objects, in a vivid colour, or white, would contrast beautifully against black.

Tarkine my first attempts were terrible Not very good for showing off but they worked!

gigi - love the idea of a ladybird cover, although not sure if I should be encouraging Maz!

Raven - I have the same philosophy - as long as they work, I don't think there will be any fashion designers studying my prefolds!

TOO LATE!!! I bought some gorgeous yellow with lady birds print fleece so have to find a noice embroidery of a lady bird to put on the outside

Gee - it was silent in here last time I looked! I took my attention away from nappy making to 3rd birthday presents, baby gifts and a nappy BAG, and poke my head back in to see you all chatting again. Please don't stop now or else I'll think I smell or something... :P

Maz -I'm sure you'll have the nappies mastered in no time given you're already a pro at covers! I have only made a couple of covers before - much prefer the nappies even though they are more complex. Not sure about te black myself - I still don't dress Austy in black (or skulls... perhaps I'm not modern enough), but I think I could be swayed by a ladybird cover for a little girl.

Just having a break from said nappy bag now, it's huge but will be great for dragging around my cloth stash.

Tarkine - while I'm happy to sew PUL pockets (have made over 100 since preggas with Austy) I too am afraid of plain PUL covers that have FOE on the edges. The covers I made were microfleece inner and outer with PUL in the middle so it was almost like making a pocket nappy anyway. They were super quick to make though.

I went and ordered some fabric yesterday - I needed moire hemp terry for inserts for my pockets, because I didn't want to waste all my bamboo fleece doing the 100% out of that, since DS had nappy chages every 1- 1.5hrs every time he fed and in my naivity back then I made the inserts out of three layers hemp terry. They actually worked although by the time he was in mediums I had to add extra layers. I'm expecting the bamboo would hardly get wet in a newby nappy, so think hemp might be better placed there. While I was there of course I ordered more minkee... not that I need it but hey, gotta make the most of the postage right?!

OH you are terrible...do tell what minkee did you get...I get such a high on buying minkee now a days...it use to be nappies but sadly we dont need anymore.

i got some cheetah...tarzan looking stuff taht im playing with tonight

I was tempted by some zebra print like Austy's blueberry trainers I never get to see anymore because he TT'ed like someone flicked a switch (not that that is a bad thing with this bub just around the corner) but I ended up getting some pale pink dot minkee, and chocolate gelato.

I want to embroider the chocolate, and the pale pink is to go under the pink dress I recently made on my blog. Now my blog says we don't know what we are having but I already revealed it on BB that we are excitedly expecting a little girl this time so that is the real reason I decided to keep the pink dress I originally made as a newborn gift. I couldn't help myself.

I had thought about making an AIO or two for Austin since he still wears his very deteriorated bubblebubs to bed for afternoon naps, so was eyeing off the leopard (so very BamBam..) but when I picked him up at childcare yesterday a tad early he was still asleep. I changed him into fresh clothes as we were off to a mum and son photoshoot (some cute very pregnant bump cuddles) and didn't even realise he was wearing jocks until the carer told him it was time to go to the toilet since he had just woken up. He still wets during his naps ast home but I think it's because we don't wake him up and he tends to lay there for a little before he calls out to come out of his room (we shut the door to keep the cat out). I know as soon as I made him new nap nappies he'd be nap trained, and figure the cute stuff is best spent on the bub where they will be seen!

Hey maz - I just checked your store to eye off your covers and saw that your wipes are square. Do you find it annoying to thread in the overlocker ends?
    I rounded the corners on all of mine just so I could stitch around them in one swoop and therefore have only one end to thread in.

Better get back to that nappy bag - I would rather make nappies, but it won't sew itself...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast