Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #5

do you guys use patterns to sew the PULs or do you just create them? my creativity is limited to be sewing square prefolds.

Maz - I'll keep my eye out for the ladybirds (hehe).. ohh I'm so naughty, but I just love the look of the different covers on babies bums!! much more interesting than sposies

Jgal - the covers sound great

Well I have all the materials I need to start making a few pockets now, I just need the machine and the time. I had someone make an order for 20 of my tote bags which will take a considerable amount of time and they need them by the 15th of December

I might have a bit more time on my hands though since my laptop is getting sent in for repairs as it won't even start. I am on my old Sony Laptop that is a nightmare to use so I spend less time on it as a result

Sounds like everyone is busy which is great! Little busy sewing bees It really is a form of therapy isn't it?

Yay! I made my first PUL cover today, using the Wee Wekka pattern. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out although the FOE was a bit scary for me! Pic in blog if you want to see.

WTG girls...must be busy cause it dame quiet in here lol.

I just cant go FOE jgal and pUL ....blah sorry babe but I have really sensitive kids and as soon as PUL goes near their butts bango sux big time cause there are so many gorgeous PUL prints out to..

Ive beendying some bamboo velour...needed to do something different.....hope it works out the way I hoped for...(It hasnt but hey at least I tried )

That's half the reason why Austy's covers were microfleece outer and inner with PUL sandwhiched between, and the covers were turned&topstitched Maz. My boy wasn't sensitive, but overnight the PUL against his skin did irritate a little bit so I figured the fleece would be more comfy. But it is warmer, and for me, fleece on it's own wouldn't work. I tried staccinators which are a double layer of MM fleece and it didn't hold up to my little firehose kid, so I made mine with the PUL inside. The PUL covers for this bub will be to go over my fitteds I have made, so I am hoping it will be fine since there is so much coverage with the nappy itself.

Off to cut out some PUL pockets - that's all I used for the first 6m last time, and I only have 2 made up so far!! I might get sidetracked though as I have some yummy minkee here wanting to be made into AIO's!!

hi all,
    im new to this forum n to the whole cloth nappy business. Bub is 8wks tomoro! time flies...
    anywyz, ive been making some wipes by hand since my visit to Spotlight last week and now im just waiting for material in the mail this week then i can start experimenting.
    im new to using a machine so it'll be interesting. But this thread is going to be helpful as im sure to come across alot of problems :P

Quick question: Is it hard to sandwich PUL between layers? I like the idea of having microfleece as the outer but Im not a fan of using covers...
    Last edited by suse; December 1st, 2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Posting in purple - please use another colour as purple is for moderator messages only

hi can I join in here too?
    I'm due in march and to start with am going to make prefolds and some PUL covers
    I have some hemp for the booster layers, and going to buy the bamboo double sided terry for the layers that come in contact with baby (mmm its so silky soft!), need to order that soon so I can start sewing over christmas break! I bought a snaps machine and some FOE and a piece of PUL to make my first attempt at a PUL cover I have a stack of free patterns, but I am pretty sure I have the Wee Waka pattern, and after seeing JGals handywork I reckon I'll give it a go! what an awesome job you've done!
    Jgal - on ur blog too I noticed u did embroidery on bibs. did you make the bibs yourself? I assume u used an embroidery machine to do the embroidery? they look sooo cute anyway

hi girls,

Have been making some prefolds - various combinations of bamboo, microfleece and flannie, will try them out. Bought a pattern from SL for the covers. Waiting for a package of fabric and will try making the AIOs.

Thanks Mrs C - I just embroidered the bibs (with my embroidery machine). I was going to make some but found a 5 pack really cheap at woollies so just bought them. Definitely give the wee weka pattern a go - it was quite easy. I have since made a pink one (but can't blog it because I have only mentioned on BB that we are having a little girl) and used some satin FOE I could buy at my local sewing store, just turned it inside out so it looks the same as the normal nappy stuff rather than bra elastic.

Boo! It's soooo quiet in here. I haven't made as many AIO's as I would have liked yet, but I guess it's a good thing as my baby turned out to be a big one. I bought a couple of ittis and magicalls, the small ittis she has almost grown out of already at just 1 month old! So I will use my minkee cuts to do medium embroidered nappies instead. I downloaded som "Princess" ewmbroidery designs the other day so will have some fun embroidering nappy cuts when the weather cools a bit and Madelyn settles a bit easier at night.

yeah it has been quiet in here...I havent started making the nappies yet, but I've got out the overlocker and used it a couple of times so am ready to get going thanks to a thread I found somewhere on the internet I know I nede to increase the diff feed and decrease foot pressure and hopeuflly thatll stop the bamboo from stretching! so will post photos as soon as I've made my first one...hoping to start tonight or tomorrow night ahh I wish I wasnt working still lol!

Hello ladies, I hope you don't mind if I join you in here??? I just started making my own nappies for bubba who is due on the 16th March.... I have made the mama bird one and the wee waka one, still got a few more to try out though...... At the moment I'm just using flannie and terry flats to make them up, oh and some polar fleece, kinda like demo models if ya like! Cos I didn't want to pay a bundle on nappy fabrics and stuff them up!!!! Seeing which pattern I like the best, or I might modify a bit yet.... We shall see......

Hi Vanessa good idea! My first attempts were pretty sad so I'm glad I didn't waste any good stuff on them

I've been close to dragging out the machines again. When the boys are back at school and we get a few cooler days I'll be into it. Been looking at the horn cabinets on ebay as I'm sick of having them take over the table and my wardrobe. Going to make me a sewing nook

hi Vanessa! well u're doing better than me, I didnt even get INTO the sewing room like I hoped to and now the weekend is over and I have something on every night/day this week :S with this heat I've just had all my energy zapped out of me you're due a week before us! very exciting

Yeah, it's been pretty warm here too.... Spent the day at the beach yesterday and now I have red spotches on my legs - missed those parts with the sunscreen apparently, and the tops of my feet.. OUCH!!!!!!

I must admit I hate the cutting out part, don't really have anywhere that is suitable to so it and it's too hard to get up off the floor now...

My bestest cutting out place is on the ironing board while sitting on the couch and watching the teev

I'm blessed cause my parents bought me a folding cardboard cutting out table for my sewing for christmas and its divine! prior to that, I just had a folding cardboard cutting board that was like $12 from spotlight and put it on the dining table!

Oh Raven... I am allowed to get a Horn too, but it has to be second hand... so I am paitently waiting for one to come on ebay...

Vanessa - I have made a few pockets and fitteds from the wee weka. They are not too bad. But my sewing is terrible... but getting better with each one. I have a tonne of hemp to make up more fitteds... But I need to get some machine time... and now being back at work it is proving too be hard.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast