Thread: Machine Feet and Needles

Default Machine Feet and Needles

I ordered the Honeyboy pattern this week so I can make some MCN - I'm waiting for it to arrive. In the mean time, I'm trying to get organised so I can start when it does turn up. I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm a bit confused. I read somewhere I need some ballpoint needles for the machine - is this correct? Is there a particular gage I need, or is it just ballpoint ones?

Also, I read that having a walking foot will make it easier to sew through the multiple lawyers of fleece, toweling and flannel - is this true, and how much easier are we talking? In a similar vein, I read that a bias binder foot makes the fold over elastic easier to sew. I'm happy to fork out for the feet if they are going to make the process easier (especially the binder foot) as I plan on doing a lot more sewing once I'm home and the feet will come in handy anyway.

I've made heaps of Honeyboys so I hope this helps

How are you planning on making it? The pattern uses one layer of fleece, one hidden layer of flanelette with a soaker pad attached and one layer of flanelette for the inner. If you're using MM fleece you won't need multiple layers unless you are going to use micrefleece instead of flanelette for the inner.

I've not needed to use a ball point needle at all or a walking foot. Although depending on the make of your sewingmachine you might have a problem with the height of the foot. My Janome is fine and I don't have a problem but a while ago it needed a repair and I borrowed my Mums little Elna and the foot didnt go up high enough for the top stitching and finishing part.

I would say to try it out before you go buying some expenisive accessories. Walking foots are about $70.

Don't know about the FOE as I'e not used it. Hopefully someone has and can give you some help there.

Thanks for this. I might just do as you say and give it a crack first. On another board someone was saying they use double layer Spotlight fleece outers, layers of toweling for the inners and microfleece lining (i think), so 5 or 6 layers all up. I'll just wait for the pattern. I have a Husqvana Viking Emerald and I think I can adjust the foot pressure - I might have to check the instruction manual.

You really should look into the types of needle you use for different materials. BallPoint is good for Fleece, Denim is good for thick layers. I have a thing here that tells you all the needles & their use. I will go find it for you.

That would be great FionaJill. I bought ballpoint needles as the pattern suggests using them for something... can't remember exactly which step. I've cut everything out but haven't started sewing yet - maybe tomorrow if I get time.