Thread: Pocket Nappies - Fabric question

Default Pocket Nappies - Fabric question

I am going to make up some more pocket nappies... Thanks to Wigglebots fabo minkee special yesterday...

Anyway, I think DS2 is a bit sensitive to the suedecloth I used in my other pockets, so was thinking to use bamboo or cotton velour for these...

So they will be minkee/hidden pul outer and a bamboo or cotton velour inner. Will that be suitable?

Thanks

hmmm not sure Ruf, cos they are both absorbent fabrics instead of a draw the moisture away fabric like suedecloth...what about microfleece?

glad you got some minkee....by the time I remembered I wanted to buy some it was after midnight

the velours would be ok, if you add microfibre behind it to draw away the moisture. I think that is the way some pockets work. I generally use microfleece in my pockets, and it wears well.

GL

Yeah I know... I should try him again... Microfleece is just as synthetic as the suedecloth so I just dunno... I might give it another go on the weekend, and just keep it on him for an hour and see how he goes with it... Cause the rash last time was terrible, and all over...

Maybe I should just make up some minkee / pul covers and just make up more fitteds... But I think we are getting to the point where he will need the side snap pockets... My boys have pot bellies and skinny hips, poor kids..

The reason I thought I could try the bamboo is that it would be like a sort of hybrid IYKWIM...

Shame you missed mels sale... there are some great new prints... Oh well... next time....

ETA - OH I have microfibre... I could try that.... thanks

I never thought of doing it the wayRyatha suggested though....do you reckon that might work? I might give that a go myself....

oh, you could also try putting minky on the inside too, liquid would pass straight though it and it would feel very lush on your toosh Imagine minky knickers...

Just done a bit of looking round, and it seems to be a good option with the velour... so I am going to give it a go. Thanks Ryatha. It will take me some time to get the velour, and then time at the machine, but I will come back and let you know how it goes. thanks

eta - Minky inners.... It would be just like minky breastpads. I cried the day my BF journey ended, as I would not have the softness of the minky on my bb any more... I still have a stack next to my bed, and look at them longingly every day.....

the other reason to put microfibre behind it is to also stregnthen it, I found when I used velour by itself it was a bit fragile,

looking forward to hearing how it goes

I've been using microfibre and wondering about trying something else as it seems to wick a fair bit - but that might be at least partly due to my crappy sewing.
    Do does it work with microfibre on the inside...? How do you go sewing the elastic with 3 layers?

I wouldn't put microfibre as the very inside layer that goes on bubbas toosh only because it sucks the moisture out and will dry their skin out really really badly. The microfibre underneath the velour or other bamboo layer will owrk fine. you don't NEED to have that syntethic wicking layer...it is only there to keep baby's bum feeling a bit more dry. If you have an average wetter and change your nappies often enough the synthetic layer is not essential.....when I make Connor's nappies the only synthetic I use is the minky and PUL on the outside...everything else is bamboo.

With sewing the elastic on I tend to put it on through the inside layer(s) only so maximum of two layers...you should try not to sew elastic onto the PUL or outside layers as this will cause wicking thorugh the stitching to the outside. You should also be able to adjust the pressure of your machine foot if you are having troubles getting through a thick layer and using a needle for heavy fabrics such as a stretch ballpoint or denim needle can help also.

Thanks Mel. I think I will then just stick with the velour and use them for day time at home. My boosters have a layer of microfibre, so I might just put that to the top when I use the new creations... But, I will just do one first and see how it goes.

I am the same with my elastic, just sew on the inside layers.

So excited... I have not done any sewing for ages, so keen to get back into it...

Ahhhh.....
    so I need to buy some more fabric then.