Thread: TRICKS TO SEWING IN ELASTIC - POCKET BACK PART and LEGS

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Default TRICKS TO SEWING IN ELASTIC - POCKET BACK PART and LEGS

hi, i am going ok with sewing the rest of pocket nappies, but particularly having trouble with the inner layer and to a lesser extent the back layer of the pocket nappies, regarding the elastic.

i cut out the pockets with a small rectangle above where the pocket entry will go, to provide myself with enough fabric to do a casing.

the pocket i made the other day, the inner back elastic was so much looser than the outer layer back elastic for the pocket.

we put a snap in the middle to secure the inner and outer together, then the inner pocket gaped like the number three.

I'm managing the leg elastic, but i don't think i pull it hard enough (i have RSI and doing the elastic i find really difficult).

any ideas to improve the elastic would be welcomed!

i'm using 12mm braided swimwear elastic for the tummy
    6mm braided swimwear elastic for the legs and back.

i use the longest zigzag stitch i can find, can't find the 3 zigzag that i read is so useful in sewing elastic for MCN.

thanks!

Wondered if any one could provide some tips to make it easier - am having such problems sewing the elastic bits. I'm using the swim elastic and sewing using elastic stitch on my machine but it looks a mess and the legs aren't tight enough.

cheers for any advice

Julie x

Don't know sorry! Never attempted to elasticize the inner pocket. I just left it plain.

I find that only zig zagging the ends about a cm and then making an elastic casing works best for me around the legs.

thanks for that Raven - will try the casing round the legs rather than sewing down it all down

Julie x

I think I must make mine differently - you have elastic on the outside and inside?

I used to use a thicker elastic at the back, like you, but have found that the same thinner one as on the legs works better for me - something you could try.

I just sew the end down with a straight stitch. Then pull, sew a bit with the zigzag/elastic stitch, pull and sew a bit more and so on, then sew the end with a straight stitch.

You don't sew ON the elastic, you sew it into a casing.

I'll PM you