Thread: Wanted: pattern for knitted wool covers

Default Wanted: pattern for knitted wool covers

Hi gals,

Didn't want this question to get lost in the thread. I know that there was some discussion about making nappies, but I can only find the topic on sewing nappies. Does anyone have a good pattern for knitted covers? My mum is keen to knit one for Pup (and to see where we go from there as far as either making them ourselves or buying them).

if anyone has one, can you either reply, or PM me with details. DON'T email me as my email isn't working (need Kel to fix it up, but she is busy)

Hi Hayseed,

There are a few freebies on line that you should be able to find. Fern and faerie have a free one, and there is one with punk knitters.
    Little Bird has one and if you want to pay for them, Little Turtle Knit is one of the places to go.
    Also Ottobre has a free pattern.

Google search should bring all these up, but if not PM me and I'll try and hunt you the links down.

I've made the punk knitters/F&F one a few times now, and its really nice. I'm trying the Ottobre one now as its a flat pattern rather than knitting in the round, and it uses 12 ply wool which is better for night time use.
    Yay for your mum, I dont have that luxury so I'm teaching myself how to knit - and unpicking a lot of stitches in the process.

Fi

I'm not much good at knitting either - a rapidly becoming lost art. Although, in saying this, I am embarking on my first knitting project today; a pair of leggings for Pup. My mum helped me cast on and told me what to do (I can knit plain and purl....she reckons if you can do those stitches, you can knit just about anything). I sat knitting merrily tonight and lost count of how many rows I have done! #-o . I had to do 6 rows before I started normal stocking stitch and then shaping, but I don;t know how to count rows yet. I'm going to her place for lunch tomorrow, so I'll take my knitting with me!!

Thanks for the names of the places to look for patterns. I'll have a look now and hopefully come up with some stuff.

Thanks Shannon I've found just about every free pattern on the net now! Just have to have more hours to be able to knit them all. I bought some amazing wool in NZ though so I'm practising for knitting those up

Now if you could only get me the paid for ones free of charge - then I'd be happy!! I've promised Shane I wont buy anymore wool or patterns until I finish at least 5 covers. I'm up to no. 4!

Hayseed - your mum is right. There are little techniques that make knitting easier and tidier, but basically if you can knit and purl, you are most of the way there.

Thanks Shannon. I'll give the fee pattern a go.

Well, I took my knitting to mum's and my aunty counted for me (showed me how to do it) and I kntted one extra row. They suggested I pull it out, instead of knitting an extra row again, cause I might forget when I come to the second side (I'm doing leggings remember) and only knit what is on the pattern and end up with them being slightly different in length!.

How frustrating to pull stitches OUT!

I think I'm on my way now....just don't need to drop any stitches cause i am s**t at picking them up!! LOL

Hayseed - one of the good things to do with "a pair" is to knit them at the same time with 2 balls of wool on the same needle. I did this with jumper sleeves, and it means you have the same tension, same number of rows. Obviously too late for this one - but maybe next time?

Fi

Oh, now that's a smart idea!!! =D>

Ha - I wish I could take credit for that one, but no.... It was the woman around the corner in the knitting shop. Makes a huge difference though, you end up with sleeves the same - especially important in a newborn baby's jumper - PMSL.

Hi, I am currently knitting a soaker from a free pattern on the net.

This pattern is really really simple. I't just one long piece, then sew up the sides. You don't even need to do a different stitch for the waist, or holes for the cord. I'm a novice knitter,and I'm managing it o.k. If I were to do it again though, I'd make it slightly bigger than the pattern says, to last to toilet training. On the other hand, I think I knit quite tightly, so it may be just right for others.

Yeah, I'm a tight knitter too. I'm knitting some pants for Pup and 2 balls should have done it, but I had to get another one as I am about 10cm too short on the first leg and the ball has run out!

Wow, you are a tight knitter. I think tight knitting means we need to relax more LOL.

I started a jumper for my 2 year old Brandon last winter. I spent like $50 on wool, the pattern and needles etc. and after a few rows I got stuck because I can't understand the instructions! I think I need to get a book that has an explanation for all of those abbrieviations. Luckily since then I have had another boy, because it won't fit Brandon now. I just need to get it done before Jamie turns 2. Do you have a book with knitting instructions?

My mum has a ripper - not that she needs it, but it has patterns in it. I'll check it out for you. I could photocopy the bit ont he various stiches and send it to you if you like??? What bit are you stuck on?

Hi Hayseed,
    Thank you so much for offering, but it's not really the stitches that I need help with. It's understanding the abbreviations in a pattern. The pattern I have is a bit advanced for me I think. I had a look at a lot of knitting books on the internet yesterday. Knitting for Dummies was the only book that specifically says that it teaches you to read a pattern, with all it's funny abbreviations. I've ordered a copy, so hopefully it will be money well spent. My mum would be able to help, but she lives in QLD and I'm in SA.

Bye for now,

Hey, can someone pm or email me the patterns as well. My MIL has asked if she can knit bubs anything and I have asked her to do some longies, she just needs the patterns. Thanks

My favourite patterns are:

Curly Purly Soaker (Free)
    Everlasting WonderSoaker (from Woolly Wonders online store - you pay and they send teh PDF)
    Picky Pants (pay and they send a pdf) for longies/shorties

Great wool stores for varigated hand dyed yarn are Jolly Jumbuck and Monster Knits.

All of those should come up if you google them. Steer clear of machine washable wools as tehy tend to be treated so they lose some of their original woolly qualities. They might be supersmooth but some don't hold the lanolin as well so aren't as leakproof. The less treatment it has been through teh better. I have some pics of some of the soakers/ shorties/ longies I have made in my blog if you want to see how the patterns turn out - click the completed projects for 2007 in the sidebar as they are not all recent projects - I am just starting on the soakers for summer now as his old ones are too small. (Just about finished my first Everlasting Wondersoaker and I loved knitting it! Hope it works as well as it knits!)

My blog: Joystitch Knits and Bits