Thread: Bummis Covers

Default Bummis Covers

Hi All,

I needed some help with the covers that we're using. I've had my eldest daughter in the same Bummis Super Whisper covers for about 12 months now and we've notices that the elasticated edges are no longer elasticated . We wash them in hot water and protect them in a wash bag and then We dry them in the sun. The question is, are they not supposed to last, have we not looked after them correctly, are there better covers out there? We'd appreciated any of you advice, feed back, experienes.

Thanks
    Cookie Monster

Hey welcome Cookie Monster!

How many covers have been in rotation? If you've been using them daily for a year, I think I'd be pretty pleased with that? I tend to wash my nappy stuff in cold/cooler water because heat's not great for elastic (like constant tumble drying isn't great for nappies, underwear, socks - the elastic wears out more quickly).
    They won't last forever though...I mean...think about a pair of your daughters pants or a pair of your underwear being worn and washed that often.

If you haven't used them that much though...then yeah it would be strange for them not to have lasted. I guess I'd need to know how often they've been used and washed - do you think that the elastic going is reasonable wear and tear?

Hi Nelle,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I've been using 4 covers in rotation. I guess your right, it does make sense that they shouldn't last forever. I suppose I was enjoying the smugness of not having to spend anymore money on nappies!

Also Nelle, can you tell me how I get a piccy of my lovely girls on to my profile? I'm pretty new at this.

Thanks again

What, like in your gallery, or in a signature? I'd love to help, but not entirely sure what you're after yet.
    Also, you might find better help in a support section of the forums, or someone who's already asked the same thing?

I get what you mean about the smugness! It's nice not to have to spend money on sposies all the time. I wonder whether you'd notice a difference in the lifespan of your elastic if you didn't wash on hot? I haven't found it necessary to wash on hot (except perhaps if I'm doing a strip-wash, where I give the nappies an extra deep clean if stink has built up after teething/Antibiotics or something), I just wash on cold, and for the most part, my elastic's fine...

The only elastic that's starting to go is my BumG (version 1!) elastic, and they've been in rotation since Riv was born, so that's 16months as a favourite/well used nappy now!

I wonder if the hot water has something to do with it too? I use only warm, and mostly cold to wash my nappies and covers, and I've had my Bummi's covers for a few years and they are still fab.
    I admit that i have about 10 covers to rotate though

I think Bummi's are one of the best ones on the market - but I bought a wool cover from Darlings Down Under last year - and it is my new favourite night cover to put over a pocket for 'just in case' leaks.........