Thread: Which covers? Help!

Default Which covers? Help!

OK, so I just got some Mandymac nappies to try and also have ordered a baby Beehind, but obviously need to get some covers for them. I'm so confused about which ones to choose! I'm hoping all you cloth veterans will be able to answer some of my questions (please!)

If I get the PUL ones, are they waterproof?
    If the wool ones aren't, why would I choose them (apart from the fact that it's a natural fibre)?
    Will the fleece ones leave the clothes damp?
    Are there any that you would particularly recommend?
    Is it worth it to buy pockets and covers or should I concentrate on AIOs? - I mean from a $$ perspective.

I think that's all my questions for now... thanks in advance!

PUL isn't waterproof, but water resistant. It should keep Seb's clothes dry as long as you don't leave it on forever. It's best to have at least two covers which you rotate with each nappy change to air out. I change Caty every 4 hours at the moment.
    Wool, when lanolised (soaking in a bit of lanolin), evaporates wetness, turning the wee into water and salt, thus eliminating the smell. It's great. Caty goes all night in a wool cover. Fleece is the synthetic version of wool, but you don't need to lanolise it. Sometimes the wool or fleece will feel a little damp in the morning if Seb's a big wee'er, but it shouldn't actually wet anything.
    It's important to distinguish between fleece and microfleece. Good fleece is the stuff you use for covers, it's thick, but microfleece is heaps thin and because it's water resistant, wee will get sucked through it by whatever's underneath (hemp, bamboo, cotton) so bubs will still feel dry. You use microfleece as a liner between the nappy and your bub's butt.
    Maybe get a few pockets, covers, AIO's.....I have a range of them, it's best to try a few then make an informed decision. MCN (modern cloth nappies) have fantastic resale value.
    There's a MandyMac website which you can google then read all their faqs.

Brilliant, thanks for that - it's made it a lot clearer!

Sasha
    I've found totbot PUL covers useless on my fat-bellied-skinnylegged newborn. So I've been using my knitted soakers and two eenee 000 Nylon pants and these have worked fine.

For a newborn you might find AIOs a bit of a pain as they take much longer to dry compared to pockets and therefore you will need more. I, like you only had one BabyBeehind for awhile and it took 2+ days to dry each time. Not helpful. (now I have 3 it is much better). I easily went through 10 nappies a day with Hester in the early weeks. She is slowing down a bit now though at 9wks.