Thread: I'm afraid of wool!

Red face I'm afraid of wool!

LOL

We need some new covers and figured now would be the perfect time to buy

I've come across a lot of wool...

But...

I'm scared of trying wool!

Um, well, no not scared of trying but scared of spending money on something that doesnt work. I know, so many people use it and its works for them but...

I just cant get out of my head that its just not going to work! Thats its going to soak right through and saturate everything around it. I just don't understand this 'evaporation' thing... I mean, if I used it at night, wouldn't the fact that she isn't moving, plus her sheet or sleeping bag, stop the evaporation...? I imagine the sheet would be SOAKED if she slept ever slept through? Because once she's asleep she doesn't move or roll off her back, so her bum would be always be on the sheet so... no evaporation really possible...?

And what about during the day and when she has clothes on? I mean, do you just use the wool as pants (i've seen those longies, is that all you use?)? What if you want to put on other clothes, do you use a different cover? Does the wool always need to be exposed to air?

Oh, and do you change the wool cover every time you change the nappy?

And another thing (LOL I have a lot of questions about wool)... wouldn't it smell? And how do you wash it? I've read something about Lanolin...? Do you have to do that every time you wash? Because that sounds really tedious...!

And, well, for all those reasons I am too scared of spending any money on wool covers, or shorties, or longies...

But I'd love too because they're gorgeous!

I'm in the same boat... petrified of the wool and the washing....

Very interested in hearing the responses......

They dont need washing every time, unless they start to smell. If the have been lanolised (lanolin is wool fat that the sheep produce to keep themselves dry) they are very unlikely to leak unless it has been a while since they were last done. Between washes we simply air them out, and they get washed about once a week. Just make sure they get dried flat in the shade or they will shrink.

Ok.. wool is a good thing. I didn't think it would work either - but it does. You would really only get leaks if the fitted underneath is absolutely soaked though - we have soaked nappies in the morning and still no leaks.

So yeah - go the wool!! dive in - its not hard.

I wash mine when they are getting whiffy and I have about 4-6 pairs for each kid and I alternate, so don't have to wash that often.

I wash in washing machine on the wool setting with wool wash, then soak in warm water with a pea sized amount of laninsoh (sp?) dissolved in it for half an hour.

That's it.

Easy peasy.

Hi Leasha,

I have a baby beehinds one here you can try. I've washed it and put it Kimmy's room, and that's as far as I've got with it.. My mental state is that it is too hot for wool at moment (and the same about it leaking etc)... It is large size, so not sure if it would be too big for Jazz?

Happy for you to borrow for a while if you like...

Oh darl give em a go! I was hesitant like you but thought what the hell and brought a pair of longies. WOW! The wool soaks up 30% of its weight in liquid. So the wee not only evaporates but the wool absorbs it. And it doesn't smell! I air mine out in between uses and they get washes maybe once every 10 wears, sometimes more. I have about 14 pairs so it helps. i have had to wash 2 times in the 6 months I have been using them lol
    They really DO work. I use them under PJ pants and all. Give em a try
    I wash mine by hand, just fill up the nappy bucket with water and wool wash and throw them in and leave for 10 minutes. Come back, swish swish and pull em out Done! Lay them flat on some towels to dry.

have been wondering also.. Thanks for the thread.

Wool is great - wish my mum would hurry up and make me some!!!

i have found wool to be wonderful!

for covers i alternate them so that they air out in between wears. longies/shorties etc i guess could be worn for a couple of days, aired out in between?

all we use overnight is wool - and we have never leaked through.

i use a lanolin spray, from babysoft landings at the moment (to make it easier for me when i first stated!) but when that runs out i have some lanolin in a bottle.

i dont think you can go wrong with wool