Thread: nappy covers

Default nappy covers

i am switching Jackson to cloth nappies, but not sure what nappy covers would be best to use. what do you use and where do you get them

in the hospital we used the plastic tie up snibs which were great, have hd a look on the internet, but cant find them anywhere!

Min,
    I have about 10 of those, I got them of a friend with some baby clothes, not sure where she got them. I am thinking maybe she pinched em from the hospital
    Anyway if you want them you can have them. Just email me your addres and I'll get em to you. They haven't been used and they are just sitting on the bottom shelf of my change table.

Tanya

omg, thanks tanya, am emailing you now.

would still like peoples opions on what they use. the velcro wrap around ones are so expensive, and how many of them would i need?

When we had Olivia in cloth (in Darwin) I never bothered: they were too expensive and it was all bulky enough without adding another layer on top.....I put her in a cloth nappy then an all in one body suit which kep it all in place quite well..........

I have used the Fluffies which you can get at Big W and Kmart I think. They are really soft fluffy pull on pants.

Like the idea of the snibs though!!

didnt she get damp though lucy? i think bos get a lot more leakage as well dont they?

I used nappy liners, and when she got damp, I changed her. Actually, it was always a bit tricky to tell with the dampness because of the humidity.

Also, I had her in cloth at home (so it was no drama to change her often) but out & about used disposable..........

mooshie Guest

hi there min

i got snibs from a chemist for my firstborn 7yrs ago, i guess your local chemist should stock them, if they don't am pretty sure they will get them in for you.

good luck

I use the snibs until they change style. I think that is size 1 or two(where they tye at the sides. Found that style just does not work for us) then once bub is too big for the snibs we go for the Pilchers(I think that is what they are called, with valcro fastener at front.) from big W.

hope that makes sense. Loved the snibs. Our Chemist will get them in when we need them Just ask.

great,to the chemist today get a few to tide me over until i get the ones from tanya. he is still in disposables for now, but am dying to go to cloth. had two leakages last night in the disposables, somthing is a miss, woudldve had to change brands anyway because they are crap!

We've been using tots bots covers over terry cloth squares for Kynan. They've worked wonderfully so far... no dampness leaking through to his clothes and even though he's had quite a few explosive poos (LOL!) it's all been contained.

Kellee Guest

We use Fluffies too. They're great - I didn't like the idea of putting plastic ones on Charlie because I assumed they weren't very breathable, and he gets eczema - I thought they would flare his eczema up. The Fluffies are really soft and non irritating, plus they are breathable but don't let the wetness come throught to the outside.

Default reply

Min, can I be rude and ask WHY are you changing? 8-[

it's not rude nadia! i am changing partly to save some money, i started off getting a sort of homebrand nappy from a nappy factory which were only $25 for a pack of $100, so they were dirt cheap, but have found that now he is getting a little bigger he is starting to leak a lot in them, so would've had to go up to a more expensive brand.

also sounds silly, but i just like the thought of natural cloth against his skin rather than plastic IYKWIM.

so the fluffies do stop the wet coming through to their clothes? amazing that wool can repel the moisture like that, because they dont have a PVC or laminated lining do they?

Default reply

Min my mum of course as they all did used cloth nappies and i know she used to put 2 on at night, but the only thing she said was bad was the ammonia smell was really strong!

Those cheap nappies are also avaliable in huggies and other brands in bulk, and they r cheaper, let me know if you want the address, they're only in Rowville?

Hi Min,

I use cloth with the bummies covers and they are fabulous. We never get leakage, and they are only a little more bulky than huggies. We use chinese prefolds as our nappies - they are great!!!!! I also boost them up at night with some hemp boosters.
    I have 4 covers at the moment - I could probably get by with 3, although when she poos in one, it has to be washed. The covers were about $13.50 each I think. Well worth the money as they are breathable and waterproof made from PUL. You can get cheaper ones within Australia - I'll probably experiment when she goes up to the next size.

If you want any info, email me, but there are heaps of links for cloth nappies within the forums.
    Fi

got the snibs thanks tanya! they are perfect for jackson seeing as he doesnt fit into any of those covers yet.

AmyBaby Guest

I use Baby BeeHinds PUL wraps. They are really cheap $11.50 and 5 in the one size does us fine.