Thread: Plastic covers?

Default Plastic covers?

I really want to save money and was wondering if I just use the classic plastic nappy covers if that would be ok. The other covers cost more than the nappies. No one seems to use them anymore but that's what my mum used on me and my brother. Is there a reason why I shouldn't use them? I will be using cotton/hemp prefolds.

Having 3-4 good PUL covers are well worth it IMO. The cheap old-fashioned plastic pilchers don't breathe and can often leave bub feeling hot & sweaty (which would make nappy rash more likely I'd imagine?). Good quality PUL covers breathe really well and provide great containment for those explosive newborn poos.

I was thinking I would need a cover for each nappy. Would I just reuse the cover if there was no poo? Also how do the covers work with the umbilical cord stump?

I think it generally recommended to alternate between 2 covers, swap and air the other one out at each change, for a day or so and then wash them (or use new ones if they get poo on them). You can get newborn covers that are specially designed to sit under the stump. I just used normal covers with Kynan and I don't remember them causing any problems but then we only started using covers on day 6 when we went home from hospital.

I alternate between three covers but obviously you could alternate between two if thats' all you have. I didn't use any special covers for Caty's umbilical cord and from memory her cord came off due to a cover rubbing on it....oops. Oh well, I was glad to get rid of the thing anyway!
    I used newborn covers but they only lasted for two or three weeks so I wouldn't recommend getting the newborn ones. I now use Babybeehinds PUL and wool (small size) and Caty's 4.5kg at the mo and there seems to be heaps of room left for growth.

HEY! You're in Adelaide. I'll happily give you one of my newborn PUL covers (Bummis Super Whisper Wrap) if you want to email me your address? I stupidly bought three, thinking I'd have to wash them after every nappy change...they're virtually brand new so I'll sell two and you can have the other one.
    Last edited by chocolatecatty; January 2nd, 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Hehe - I am getting great use out of my newborn covers!! Week 3, and he's only just starting to fit into them.
    Definitly invest in 3-4 PUL covers, for $60 they are well worth the money.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

hi got my covers from "Cleverpants" and they are UNREAL... they are currently having a sale, so you could save money now... good luck

cloud_skye Guest

My guess is (after using the old fashioned ones last time, and planning to use prefolds this time...) that the old fashioned ones wouldn't give you a snug enough fit, or enough room for adjustment, to contain everything (POO) with a prefold. And definitely take chocolatecatty up on her offer, they are the ones I have!