Thread: relieving headaches naturally

Question relieving headaches naturally

well ds kindly gave me a throbbing headache when i found him scribbling over the brand new car seat we just bought him with ball point pen ....

so it got me thinking how do you relieve a headache??

I get my ears and squeeze/massage the lobes really hard and then roll the bits that are curled over outwardstowards the top of my head .

or pinch the bridge of my nose tightly and give a little massage ...

it relieves tension and feels a bit better .

so what do you do to get rid of tension and headaches????

I use an oil blend of lavender and chamomile in a base oil and massage a bit into my temples.

I also use the accupressure point between my thumb and first finger. But have now been advised not to use that point during pregnancy as it can also cause uterine contractions. Oops!

I have read that dtd relieves head aches and migraines effectively due to the natural chemicals released.

I would say lavender oil in a burner (although be careful when preg!)
    Drink lots and lots of water
    Sometimes a nice warm washer across the forehead

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

When I was pregnant (and now) a wheatpack across my eyes / neck / head was my lifesaver. You can put a couple of drops of lavender on it too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Another good way to get rid of headaches is to put both feet in a bucket of cold water,(I know it`s not the weather for it though,great in the summer months,lol.)but it helps dialate your veins and makes the blood flow more easily and helps relieve your aching head,i heard that on a medical radio show on a saturday mornings.

Magnesium is great for headaches that are caused by tension or stress as it is a relaxant. Up to 800mg a day is safe during pregnancy.
    Also feverfew is good as it is a natural anti-inflammatory but unfortunately it cannot be used during pregnancy. :-)

A nice bubble bath

clare076 Guest

Ice packs work really well, the other thing I usually try is a nice cup of tea. Something with caffeine.

I have been having dreadful headaches through most of pregnancy - it takes mersyndol to be able to sleep at night because they are so bad.

Saturday morning at acupuncture, I had needles in my neck and my arms in particular spots... She also gave me leave in needles in those spots (a tiny little square of bandaid that covers a little coild spring with a spike on the end that goes in)... I was told to massage the needles if I get another headache, but so far it has been complete and instant relief. Not even a panadol since they went in!

BW

Slice some ginger into a bottle of water and drink that during the day

Thought i would mention that the pressure point in between the thumb and first finger that is often used to help relieve headaches should not be stimulated in pregnancy as it can bring on labour
    not that anyone mentioned that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiejane View Post
    Slice some ginger into a bottle of water and drink that during the day

Thought i would mention that the pressure point in between the thumb and first finger that is often used to help relieve headaches should not be stimulated in pregnancy as it can bring on labour
    not that anyone mentioned that one!
    I mentioned that in my first post up there :P

sorry Antheia, missed that bit, was skim reading with mj on lap