Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had there baby at 34weeks?

mizzsocial Guest

Default Anyone had there baby at 34weeks?

My friend just went into early labor and she is 34 weeks.. because her waterbroke, labor is defiently going to occur very soon.. i was wondering, has anyone had there baby's at 34 weeks or close to 34 weeks? were your babies ok? any comfort of your storys i can share with her would be great..

thanks..

Hi mizzsocial,

My son was born at 32 weeks. He was only small (1796g) but he was just fine. He had apgars of 8 & 9. We had a little bit of warning that he was going to come early and I was given steroid injections in the days before he was born to help his lungs to mature. They must have done the job because he was breathing unassisted from about 6 hours after his birth. He did have to spend 4 weeks in hospital though as he had to learn how to feed. At first he was given breastmilk through a tube in his nose and as he grew bigger and stronger, we began to incorporate breastfeeds. When he was strong enough to do all his feeds on his own (all BF & no tube) he was able to come home. He is 8 months old now and is doing great. He has suffered no ill effects from his early birth.

There are a number of girls on BB who have had their bubs at an even earlier gestation who will have positive stories to tell also.

34 weeks is obviously not an ideal time for a baby to be born, but at the same time, it is a "good" gestation if bub does have to come early, if that makes sense?

All the very best to your friend. I'm sure she and her bub will be in good hands, there is so much that can be done for premmie bubs these days.

Yeah my sister was born at 34 weeks. She had a few problems breathing at first but it was all fine after a week. She had to be in the NICU for 2 weeks then mum could take her home. Mind you this was 30 years ago and obviously doctors know a lot more now than they did then.

My cousin also had her baby at 35 weeks and was able to take him home straight away, as he was very healthy.

My baby was born at 27wks (6 weeks ago) & is going strong! At 34 weeks it would be a breeze compared to tiny premmies so i am 100% positive your friend will have a healthy bub..

As you've probably read recently my son was born @ 33 1/2 weeks.
    he will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and in special care at the moment.
    He is great and will be home At the latest another 4 weeks (secretly thinking less then that though)
    You really would be surprised how many babies are born pre term. The hospitals are full of little bubs born as early as 22 weeks and still end up fine!

I had my twins at 33 weeks, and they stayed in SCN for 3 weeks, but no breathing probs, just needed to learn to feed. They were 2110 and 2115 born, Reassure your friend that everything will be Ok, 34 weeks is quite "old" for a premmie!!!!

I had Maria at 34+4 weeks, she had no breathing problems and was in NCC for nearly 4 weeks. My waters just spontaneously broke as well.

Hey - My bub was born at 28.6 weeks and when I was in labour at this age they gave her 98% chance of survival. She was in hospital for 2 months and is now thriving (have a look at my www. for pics of when she was just born and now if you like).
    34 weeks, although still scary is actually not too bad and I'm sure that with the great medical care there is, that your friend will be in great hands!

One of the girls at my mums group had her little girl at 28wks, and another 2 had thir boys at 33wks and all are now happy healthy 18months old kids

mizzsocial Guest

Girls, thanks so much for replying..

Erica had her daughter last night, and she is in special care nursery at the moment, but is doing well.. ill defienly pass on your positive storys to her..

Thanks again..

I wish your friend and her new baby all the best. Please tell her that she's most welcome to come and chat if she needs some support from others who understand her situation.

Hi there

I had a 34week little girl (weighing 2170gms) 10 months ago due to a severe placenta abruption. It was definately a very scary and emotional time (especially since i had to recover from an emergency c/s and a large blood transfusion myself) - and no-one ever imagines their baby birthing experience will turn out that way.

We were very fortunate that our little angel was a definate fighter and only spent 3 weeks in NICU (although it did feel like eternity at the time). She made wonderful progressions and we are still going strong with the breastfeeding. She is still a petite little thing weighing under 7kg at 10 months but our peadiatrician is very impressed with her overall development saying that she's actually strides ahead with milestones.

Life with our little Ella is amazing - she brings sooooo much joy to our lives - and if anything our premmie experience has made us treasure her that bit extra.

Best wishes to ur friend and - with ur own tiny treasures

Me -26
    Hubby -27
    Ella - 24.8.05
    Last edited by *Rae*; June 26th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.

Hi there

I had a 34week little girl (weighing 2170gms) 10 months ago due to a severe placenta abruption. It was definately a very scary and emotional time (especially since i had to recover from an emergency c/s and a large blood transfusion myself) - and no-one ever imagines their baby birthing experience will turn out that way.

We were very fortunate that our little angel was a definate fighter and only spent 3 weeks in NICU (although it did feel like eternity at the time). She made wonderful progressions and we are still going strong with the breastfeeding. She is still a petite little thing weighing under 7kg at 10 months but our peadiatrician is very impressed with her overall development saying that she's actually strides ahead with milestones.

Life with our little Ella is amazing - she brings sooooo much joy to our lives - and if anything our premmie experience has made us treasure her that bit extra.

Best wishes with ur own tiny treasures

Hi iluvella,
    That's great that Ella is doing so well. IKWYM about the joy they bring into your life. Every day I can't believe how lucky I am to have Kyla!
    We have a little prem chat thread under "premmie mums" if you want to join us

My first bub was born at 28 wks (after threatening at 25 wks) weighing 1490gms.
    He has a few infections etc and had to be ventilated, and spent 2 months in the Royal womans hospital NICU at Brisbane. He is a fine healthy almost 10 year old boy now. I am sure at 34 weeks, her bub will do well

Lollies Mum Guest

hi there i had my little girl at 28 weeks thats was on the 16th of july and she is doing really well so far

Sal Guest

Hi there, I haven't had a premmie bub but just wanted to share with you research that has been done on premmies. At age two years, premmies have fully caught up to full-term bubs and later on in life you cannot tell which were prem and which were full-term. The only caveat is that parenting must be top-notch, otherwise premmies do continue to lag behind their full-term peers. I guess that being premmie puts a stress on the bub's development, but with proper love and nurturing they overcome that, but if parenting is leaving something to be desired, then the stress does take it's toll. Not that your friend need worry about that. The news is all good! BTW this study was done here in Australia, recently.

Mizzsocial- was just wondering how your friend and her girl was going

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast