Thread: babies around 25w...

Default babies around 25w...

i have been bleeding for almost a week now, with contractions that wouldnt stop, it settled a little after i had an anti-d injection, but they dont know if this baby's going to stay put... i just want to know if anyone has had a bubba this early, and what its like. how they cope, if they have problems... thanks

Hi Simone

First of all, sorry to hear you're going through this worrying time with your baby. I hope she can stick in there a little while longer.

Second, my son was in NICU for three months when he was born (not prem, but had heart failure) and I saw a lot of little bubs born at 25 wks who actually "graduated" to the special care nurseries and then to the ward a lot faster than my Zeke.

As for coping, it is hard, but you sort of get used to a routine of visiting your baby in hospital and everything that goes with it. You will need a support network around you.... I know you've just moved to your new home... so perhaps make full use of the hospital chaplain? They are usually wonderful, caring people who can also advise you about services available to you (such as Ronald McDonald house etc).

I hope that helps, Simone. And I hope your little miss stays put for a while yet.

Hi Simone,

I don't have personal experience with a baby born this early, but as my son was born at 32 weeks, we go to a premmie playgroup once a month at our local hospital. I went on Tuesday just gone and within the group was a little boy born at 24 weeks and a little girl born at 25 weeks. They are both now at home and doing well, but being born so early meant a long stay in hospital for them, as you could imagine. Bubs born that early generally stay in hospital at least to term, sometimes beyond term and they initially need a lot of help with breathing, feeding, etc.

In any event, I hope your little one stays put for many weeks yet but if she does decide to make an early entrance, rest assured that there is so much that can be done for premmie bubs these days. And any more questions you may have, please ask.

All the best to you and your little girl.

Fee Guest

A friend of mine had her baby at 24 weeks and he survived. He spent 4 months in hospital. He's doing well now.

Hi Simone - Like you I had bleeding and contractions, but at 28 weeks. Unfortunately I didn't realise that the contractions were actually labour and they were unable to stop the labour. My bubs was born at 28.6 weeks.
    We were in hospital for for about 9-10 weeks. We were very lucky, Kyla was 1.4kg which was good for the gestation and was only on CPAP for 4 days. She had jaundice and was under lights on and off. They start the baby on a saline type solution through IV prior to commencing EBM very slowely.
    It's a very stressful time, but as you can see from my ticker, Kyla is now going great guns.
    It's great that the labour was stopped-you now just have to tell that little bubba of yours to hold on for a little bit longer. However if things don't go as planned, rest assured that the care in hospital is very good.
    Look after yourself, keep rested and I really hope that your little one stays put for at least a few weeks longer.

im nearly 28w, bleeding has stopped (occasionally get bloody mucus still, sorry if tmi) but still getting constant on and off pains, especially thru my lower back, sometimes around the top of the uterus and along the top of my pubic bone. i hope she stays just a few more weeks, 32w is my goal. i cant stay on bed rest, as was advised, as we're staying at MIL's, but there's barely anyone ever here. So i have to look after my 2 and 1 year old boys!!!

best of luck with your little girl, even born mow she will have more than a fighting chance, and we are always here to give you support.

Simone, it's good to hear that your little one has stayed put for now. I hope you can both hold out a bit longer. Hang in there...

Good luck Simone!

Simone, One of our June Buddies had her Baby at 27 weeks, Racoo00oon, you'll find her through our group and in birth stories, she has a fabulous website set up for Ronan, check it out. He is still in Hospital. But doing pretty good. There is also Nickers, who had her baby at 33 weeks, they were both due in June. Hope that helps.
    Ta Dee

natlie Guest

hi simone, i'm just new i have a bub born at 25 weeks and we spent 5months in RBWH and Pyper is doing all the developmental thing a 5 month(corrected) bub should be getting upto while being tied to an O2 bottle soooooon to be off. I saw a lot of good and sad things while we were there and the good stuff is the bubs born after 26weeks so your well and truly in the clear. Good luck and relax a little if you can IT DOES HELP>

Anneliese ended up holding on until 30weeks... born 1680g.

natlie Guest

Pyper was born 704grm went down to 666grm in first few days to scary to think about now

Anneliese went down to 1550g, she's now just over 5kg at 7 months