Thread: Early C/S now has breathing problems

Default Early C/S now has breathing problems

Hi there,

One on my close friends was due to have an elective c/s on the 18th December. She had a long painful labour with her first that resulted in an emergency c/s so she felt more comfortable just electing for her second.
    This week she started worrying and getting strange feelings that her scar was going to slit as she was very big this pregnancy (all belly). So she had an appointment yesterday and was going to ask if they could bring it forward a week as she was quite worried. They then said to her she could have it that night at 6pm or the next day if she was that worried. They said it more than likely wont happen that her scar would come apart but if it made her feel better then they could go ahead with it as she was 37 weeks 5 days yesterday. They said there would be a 1 in 200 chance the baby would have to go into a humidy crib. So she opted for last night as she knew she'd just go home a stress about it more. I then got an sms from her at 3pm saying she was going in now and we were both excited.

I didnt see her last night sms until this morning but she said the baby has been transferred from Hornsby to Prince Alfred Hospital as he was having trouble breathing. She was to be transferred this morning.

I havent heard anything since but am praying that everythings alright for her and bubs. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar thing?
    Last edited by ShootingStar; December 6th, 2006 at 09:44 AM.

Hi Kell,

I hope everything is okay with your friends baby. Please keep us upto date when you find out more.

Not sure if it's the same but when Alex was born at 36wks 6days he had to have 100% oxygen for a day and then slowly he was able to come off it. He was only in SCU for 3 days.

Hi Michelle,

I spoke to my friend a few hours ago while she was waiting to be transferred and she said they had him on a drip but have removed it and now he is on oxygen so it does sound kind of similar to Alex. Heres hoping that her little man is out in a few days too.

Thanks for your reply

Hi,

Alex was on a drip also for a few days and then he was feeding on his own.

Well thats nice to hear that he should hopefully pull through ok. I smsed my friend that so she feels a little better

I had my son at 33w3d and he needed help breathing, initally he had CPAP which is like pronges that go into their nose and push air through. Then he was fully ventillated, had a tube through his mouth into his lungs. He came off both at day 5 and was fine after that, he had no side effects from either, many pre term babies have help breathing for a long period of time, some even go home on oxygen but they really are fighters and do come out the other side ok.
    I hope your friend and her bub are doing well.

My Cait was born by CS two weeks over due and had 'respitory distress' when she was about 10 hours old and spent the day in the crib.

Isn't 38 weeks considered full term in some circles ? I wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with coming early.

My little Willow was born at 30 weeks and is doing great now. She was fully ventillated for 20 hours after that she was on CPAP for 5 days. After the first week she was pretty much ok. Willow was in hospital all up for 7 weeks. Premmie bubs are true fighters and I'm sure bub will be home with your friend in no time at all.

Raven

They sure are little fighters arent they. Jesse was thought to have fetal distress just prior to being born as his heart rate was down in the low 60's but he came out screaming.

Yep, i think they class 37 weeks as being term but my friend wasnt booked in to have her c/s until the 18th (shed be 39w 2d) but was worried that her scar would tear so asked to have it earlier. Like i said to her, you dont know if every if she went to her due date as to whether he would have come out the same anyways. Just dont want her blaming herself as its not her fault.. she was just going with her motherly instincts and thought it was the best thing to do incase she ruptured. Dr actually told her where he last scar was the skin was really thin so it was probably a good thing she got in early.

Thanks for all your well wishes, theyre muchly appreciated

Kristy - I had charlie at 37 weeks - via c/section - he got flewn to melbourne with breathing difficulties he had something called Transtracyamea(sp?) also known as wet lung in the old days. I had a c/section early because of Pre-eclampsia

My doctor told me that allot of babies who are born early via c/section have this problem, apparently babies have vaginal births get the wettnes pushed out of there lungs whilst they are coming out wereas a c/s baby doesn't have to work

Don't know how right that is but that was what the doctor told me

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Yes that's right what the doctor told you Jacci, lots of babies born via c/s prior to 38 weeks can have what they call wet lung. Although it isn't uncommon in babies born after 38 weeks or past their due date. My doctor explained this to me with my second as I was hoping for an earlier c/s date, but had to wait until after the 38 week mark.

My 2nd DS was born via c-section at 37w 5 d, and he suffered from the "wet lung" bit. He was put intot he humidicrib with oxygen for about 36 hours, and ws find after that. My OB told me that is was nothing to do with being born a little early, but was to do with the fact that he had not gone through labour, and had not had the stimulation on his chest to push out the fluid in birth. My other DS's were also born via c-section, but were fine

Sound very like what the lil guys has. Havent spoken to my friend yet properly to find out but have thruogh sms and he is still stable. Up until yesterday there had been no change but today she said hes on the mend and maybe able to go home next week

Kelly, i hope your friends baby is doing well and home now...

Hi Simone.
    Thank you for youre kind thoughts.

Bubs has been transferred back to Hornsby Hospital today actually. Doing much better. My friend told me that when he was born his lungs hadnt developed enough to breath for themself yet so when he came out he was just huffing and nothing was working. He needed aid from the machines until his lungs grew basically and we able to breath themselves. So yes all is well now. Very excited for her, cant wait to meet the lil guy. Makes me want another one right now!

Thanks again for your support

My little girl had a similar problem. She was born at 35+6 days by cs, and had to go to special care for a while, while they helped her sort her breathing out. Something to do with wet lungs?

I'm glad everything's turning out ok xx