Thread: My 26 weeker champion girl

boomboom baby Guest

Default My 26 weeker champion girl

My darling girl was born due to ruptured membranes (no apparent reason) at 26 weeks. I had a very healthy happy pregnancy so was immediately thrown into shock with the knowledge that my baby may not survive. I live in Jamaica and the hospital where she was to be born had no available ventilators . Luckily I was able to get her transferred to another hospital that had one available but the previous hospital did not help her with CPAP so she had breathed with a head box only for 11 hours. She developed severe RDS due to this and arrived at the other hospital with hypothermia . For 3 days I could not see her because of the c section. That in itself required iron will on my part not to fall apart.I nearly did breakdown and I could feel that the breakdown would have done me physical damage. Luckily another mother came to me immediately and kept me strong and intact.I was terrified she would die before I saw her again. When I finally saw her i was just happy she was still alive despite all the tubes and very badly bruised skin from IV sitings. I never let the horror of the tubes , IV's get to me. It would have done her no good and I didnt want her to feel bad about them. If I had thought then about the physical horrors she was going through, I would not have survived the three months I lived at the hospital with her.I was also keenly aware they were keeping her alive.The NICU roller coaster ride was hellish to say the least. The constant crashing and rescusitations were difficult. Added to which we had to work with a hospital that was under resourced as well as work with outdated equipment . Kira did not need much oxygen support by the ventilator but her throat was traumatised and each extubation had to reveresed when her throat closed. The only way for her to breathe was to re-intubate her.She was ventliated for 5 weeks. There were many traumatic moments and we nearly lost her on several occasions. She was ultimately very lucky....she had collapsed lungs, pnumonias, severe sepsis, ROP, 8 blood transfusions.....but no NEC or other gastro intestinal issues. The emotional strength that is required in NICU is huge. You are expected to be positive about the future, a treatment, a weaning but if it doesnt work and there are some steps back you are required to be strong and understand that these things happen and its all baby steps etc etc......Some days I was beaten and i started envisioning her coffin and funeral but mostly I sang and spoke to her constantly... i kissed her alot too....this made me feel better and she did too many times by squeezing my fingers.......she was the most ill baby for awhile in NICU and I had to watch other babies get better...you're happy for them but sometimes you feel your baby is never getting better...actually in NICU it is such a two steps forward three steps back thing that some babies that seemed to get better, she actually left them behind in NICU in the end....sadly some didnt make it.
    The docs were convinced she had CLD (chronic lung disease) but in the end she left the hospital without oxygen and zero apnea. She weighed 2.5 Ibs and had difficulty gaining weight for awhile but after a last transfusion she started gaining wieght and now weighs 17 lbs and has no problems save a little exzema.
    She is now 11 months actual age and 8 months corrected. She rolls and flips and actually covers alot of ground this way. She's about to start crawling and she sits unsupported. She's a very happy , healthy baby. She has only had one minor cold and one minor ear infection.
    To all the mothers out there in NICU now, my heart and soul is with you. Its one of the hardest thing anyone could ever have to do. Just remember its an awful place but a very special one too. The only place that can give your baby what he/she needs. My main advice would be to spend as much time with the baby as possible and no matter what happens in the next hour, day or weeks love your baby now. P.S My baby is called Kira although I spend alot of time calling her boom boom. See link to see pics. Zenfolio | misha earle photography | Kira boom boom Foote

oh Kira is the most adorable little girl! Thanks for sharing your story and the photos. What a champion that is unreal she i so close to crawling! i love the comparison photo's with her hand and your finger.
    What a long and tough road you and your family have travelled. I cannot imagine the anxiety you would have felt not being able to see her for 3 days. I couldnt see my son for about 16hrs and i was a mess.
    Its nice to meet you and i hop you have a very lovely Christmas with your baby girl!

Wow what a amazing little girl you have a true little fighter...So glad all is now well she is beautiful...

Thank you for posting such a personal story. I am so glad to hear that you have had a happy ending and now have a beautiful, healthy princess. Friends of ours had a 24 weeker who is now a thriving 2 yo, so I have watched others going through the pain and then joys that you describe. I think it must be the hardest thing in the world to live through and I praise you for your strength. I wish you all the very best.

Kira is such a strong little girl, Well done and congratulations!! A beautiful story too, thank you for sharing.
    I love the pictures, they are just beautiful You have some good size comparisons there too!
    She is doing so well, congrats on the "almost" crawling.
    Hugs
    Take Care

She is absolutely beautiful! what gorgeous potos, that little smile! Thankyou for sharing such a sad yet lovely story.

boomboom baby Guest

Thanks for the welcome! Yes I am very proud of her! Hope everyone has a great christmas and new year.

Oh, Kira is so adorable! Thanks so much for sharing your touching story. What a strong woman you are! Your daughter obviously shares that quality too.
    You too, have a great Christmas and new year - how exciting it is to have our first Christmas with a baby! All the best

I agree, she's gorgeous. Enjoy your first Christmas together

What an amazing little girl, just divine.

wishing you all the very best.

boomboom baby Guest

Happy New year! I hope everyone had a good christmas. We had a great one with lots of good food and family time. Kira's birthday is January 10.....so happy but the time has passed so quickly. Thanks again for all your best wishes.

For tomorrow!!!
    Happy Birthday Kira!
    I hope you have a fantastic first birthday!
    Take care
    xox

happy birthday for tomorrow little girl
    stories like your's are amazing, i cannot imagine what you have gone thru.
    xx

1 year WoooHooo!!

Congratulations on a beautiful daughter Hope all is well. Happy Birthday Kira

Take Care

boomboom baby Guest

Default Thanks!

Just wanted to show this photo journey! The time difference is so big so we havent had cake yet and I wont see any response until tomorrow!

She's gorgeous! She has come so far, you must be so proud