Thread: New premmie baby

Default New premmie baby

Hi

My baby was born 8 days ago at 34 weeks and 4 days. She (Maria) has been in level 2 care at Randwick until tonight when they moved ger to level 1 care. She just needs to learn how to breastfeed (thinks nipples are dummies that put you to sleep) and consistently put on weight then she can go home.

Hi Louise,

Congratulations on the safe but early arrival of baby "Maria".

Hope everything goes well and you and your little one will be home in no time.

Take care Leah

Hi Louise, congratulations on the arrival of Maria, its hard when they dont know how to suck.
    How are you coping? I presume you are home, without her. I found that the hardest thing, I cried for ages when I had to leave them.
    Are you expressing, and hows that going?

My babies ( twins were born at 33 weeks and weighed 2110 and 2115) and they came home fully bf at 3 weeks of age, so it hopefully wont be long for Maria.

Congratulations Louise on the birth of Maria! Very best with the feeding/weight gain, and here's to lots of enjoyable times ahead.

Our Emily was born at 27 weeks and her feeding/weight gain kept her in hospital for last part of her stay; she came home 2 days after her "due date".

Expressing is going ok, I have heaps of milk, but it is hard getting out of bed in the middle of the night when it is still cold.

Louise, congrats on the birth of Maria. Such a pretty name! I'm sure she'll be home soon.

My Alex was born at 35 weeks gestation, at 1.9 kilos. He was, however, very lucky and healthy, only underweight. He had his sucking reflex and was breathing fine from day 1. We came home after 10 days at 2.02 kilos.

Best wishes and keep us in the loop! (And I do remember those cold mornings expressing! I hope you've got a good pump!)

froofy Guest

Congratulations! I too had a premmy bub. It can get difficult to get them to latch on and stay on. I used to express my milk with a photo of little Harmony in front of me, it really helped

I found expressing in the middle of the night hard too! I couldn't breastfeed after 8 weeks, because Seren couldn't latch on properly and so in the end my milk dried up. I wish I could have carried on, but looking back i'm just glad I managed to breastfeed for as long as I did!

natlie Guest

hi i'm natlie and am new, i also have a prem georgous baby girl Pyper Isobelle. She arrived way earlier than she was meant to at 24 +6 days, we spent 5 long months at the RBWH now been home for 5 months on oxegen but doing all the things a five month (corrected) age bub should be doing. Hope to meet some mums that know the feeling.

Thanks for listening
    Natlie

Welcome Natlie. Good to hear your little girl is doing well. All the best and welcome to BB.

natlie Guest

Thanks kimbaz.

Welcome to our thread natlie!! I love the name Pyper... I have a beautiful little girl Anneliese who was born at 30 weeks due to a uterus infection... she's now 7 months (5 corrected) and doing quite well, she's still a petite little thing though... just growing out of 0000 clothes!!

natlie Guest

Thanks for the warm welcome, i heard the prems stay little. Pyper was ventilated for 10weeks and has a very high palet and was not expected to be able to bf, she didnt read the instruction manual because she is fully bf with no probs from first nuzzle and weighs 8kg wearing O's not many OO's

Anneliese started bf at 31w, was home by 34w. Drs were amazed, she wasnt expected to survive the emerg c/s (she was infected with septsis from my chorioamnionitis) Never ventilated, was crying from the moment they pulled her out of my belly... best sound i have ever heard...

natlie Guest

I was hoping to get to 26weeks as the survival rate was much higher, but at 25weeks every moment was a blessing

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter Pyper. What a long road you had in hospital i am sure with many up's and downs.
    My son was born at 33weeks, so he had a god head start on Pyper, he spent 4 weeks in hospital was in NICU ventillated for 5days then SCN for the remainder,& he is a big fatty now! he was a lot smaller for the first 6months but now he has just stacked it on.

tiggy Guest

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful Pyper. Welcome too to BB! It is so good to hear that things are going really well with her. When you are ready, come on over to the Premmie Mum's chat thread. It will be great to have you on board!

My twins were born at 30 weeks. They're 14 months now and are doing really well too. My boy, Noah is a whopper but Ivy is still petite.

moment by moment Guest

Congrats on the birth of Maria hope she is getting closer to home and that the expressing is still going well. The early morns are hard but keep it up they are the best ones to do i have been told that if you express then it is when a certain hormone is at its peek and you produce more milk.

Congrats on the birth of Pyper Isobelle she sounds like she has come along way.

why were each of your bubs prem if you dont mind me asking?

I am Fiona Mummy to Mason and Airlie.
    Airlie was born prem 27+5 due to PE and HELLPS you can check out my sig for more info on her journey. She is now 1 (had a huge birthday party!! 6.1.07) and is 7kg crawling pushing her car around so i suspect i am in for it soon teething although no teeth yet AHHHH for her and me says mum dad bub and lots of other baby babble.

Good Luck with your bubs chat to you around the boards

Fiona