Thread: Older premmie - delayed speech?

Default Older premmie - delayed speech?

Hi girls

Seren is 18 months old now, and shows no sign of developing speech. The paediatric doctor said she was still babbling like a 7 month old baby would! She's been referred to speech therapy and audiology now.

Help - has anyone else found this with their older premmie?

kirsty Guest

Hi Welshgirl I am sorry to hear that Seren seems to be having troubles with her speech. I can't help as James was perfectly fine in that department (in fact I think we were extremely lucky as we were told of so many things to look out for in regards to slow downs in his developmental stages & so far we haven't seen anything at all & he is now just over 4yrs old).

It does sound as though they are onto it pretty quickly though & hopefully that will help things occur a bit quicker for you both.

Please let us know how she gets on at her appt won't you?

Big hugs.

tiggy Guest

Hi Welshgirl,
    How are you going? Noah has been referred to a speechy, although he is only one. I think though that if Seren is babbling then that is a good sign. I hope all goes well for you and I'd also love to hear how things go.

Hi Welshgirl.

Kameron was forced into the world at 37wks 6 days, and never said a great deal at 18mths, it wasn't till he was nearly 3 that he really started to string words together etc. However he is now 5 and doing intensive speech therapy through kindergarten so much so they are holding him back for 1 or possibly 2 terms before sending him to school so he can get that extra support.

It isn't that he can't talk but he wont talk around people he doesn't know etc and instead of saying stuff like "The boy is riding his bike" he will say "Boy riding bike" he leaves out all the small words from all sentences.

His hearing and sight is perfect as he had his pre-school health check a few weeks ago.

love

Hi Welshgirl,

Alex has just turned 18months and he just babbles still, he can say few things but nothing big. I was told if he's not syaing more words by the time he is 2 them they will send him to a speech therapist. Kimberley was the same with talking she was very slow at starting and now you can't shut her up.

I say try not to worry about it as she will talk in her own time and all little ones are different.

Hi Welshgirl,

I'm sorry, I don't have any further advice as Joshua is a bit younger than Seren, but I just wanted to say hello as I have been wondering how you are all doing. How are you finding it with two little ones? How is your bub going?

Hey Welshgirl,
    I'm sure that the audiologist and speechie will help heaps. Although Kyla is fine with her language atm she is behind in her gross motor skills. We've been seeing a physio now fortnightly and it seems to be helping heaps. Hopefully you will find that early intervention will help with the catch up.

Thanks for the input girls.

Bec - how are you?? I'm fine! Two little ones is certainly keeping me busy! We named our latest addition Carrie, and she's doing fine. She was born 35+6, and is doing fine. She's had jaundice that's taken a while to clear, but her weight gain has been fab - i'm not used to having a chubby little baby!!! lol.

How are you??

Congrats Welsh - glad to hear that she is doing well. Great name too

It's great to hear that everything is going well, Gwen. I'm so pleased to hear it. Good news on Carrie's weight gain too - yay for chubby babies!!

I'm well thanks, almost halfway through my pregnancy now. Having a bit of trouble with my BP but they put me on medication and it seems to be keeping it all under control...

Anyway, it's great to hear from you. Let us know how Seren's speech therapy goes, won't you?