Thread: Older premmie - hearing problems / not talking yet

Default Older premmie - hearing problems / not talking yet

hi!
    My little girl was born at 33 weeks, and passed her hearing screening test in SCUBU. But now, she's nearly 2 years old, and she doesn't talk and has never said 'mum' even.
    She's had some basic hearing tests done, which shows she may be hard of hearing - we're now waiting to see an audiologist for some more definative answers.

She doesn't walk yet, as her balance seems off - and she just makes random noises as she points at things.

It's so scary not knowing what's going on. Is she hard of hearing, or is she just slow learning to talk?

Has anyone else had similar problems with an older premmie?

Thanks
    Gwen xxxx

Hi Gwen,

Both Kimberley and Alexander where born early and both of them never said much before 2yrs old.
    Alex can say only a couple of things but then we have a friend and her little girl that is a couple of months younger than Alex can say heaps.

I know it's hard not to worry but some kids do not talk lots or at all before they are 2. Kimberley now at the age of 4 never shuts up and i thought we would have problems with her.

I would wait till you have all the answers you need from the audiologist, i hope you don't have to wait long to see one.

Hey Gwen

I'm a paediatric Speech Pathologist.

I think it's great that you are getting your DD's hearing checked out...

Given that she is a little slow on talking and walking, as well as her history of being prem., it's definitiely worthwhile having a full developmental checkup with a paediatrician. That way, he/she can either alleviate any concerns you have, or alternatively refer you on to Speech and Physio (and maybe OT), if further support is needed.

I don't know what the health system is like in Wales, but in Aust., if you are going public, the waiting lists can be quite long...so it's at least worthwhile to have your child's name down on the waiting list, whilst you are getting other things checked out.

Wishing you all the best!

Hi Gwen,
    My DD is 20months, 17 monts corrected and is still not walking. We see a physio who is helping her atm - but she has to get orthotics to help with her stability due to lack of muscle tone (common in premmies). Getting your DDs hearing checked is the best way to go and if you are concerned about walking perhaps see a physio. As stated above, your pead. should be able to let you know if you should be worrying and what the best steps to take are.
    Best of luck.

Thanks for all your replies!!!

Seren had a developmental check last week, and we had the results back a few days ago. It shows that her social skills were fine, but her fine motor skills, and speech, are very delayed.

The waiting lists are extremely long here too, so i've booked her in privately for a hearing test which is today so we'll see how things go from there.

Thanks so much for your lovely replies. It's quite reassuring that other toddlers dont talk much until they're about 2 years old!

Love Gwen xx

My nephew is now 5 and was a premmie baby born at 33 weeks. He started school this year and we can only say now that his speech is actually improving. Not that he ever had a problem with getting the words out! He talks non stop!! It was just impossible to understand a word he said.

He is a bright and beautiful boy and the doctors said he'd be about 6 months behind. Considering that he is now 5 going on 6, this was a bit of an understatement, but he was only taken to a speech pathologist about a year ago, so sooner would have been better. He loves school and is doing great.

All the best,

Gwen,

How did the hearing test go last week? Please come back and let us know.
    Over here there are things called "grommets" which help children with hearing loss, my dh had them as a child and i beleived they helped him dramatically when he was a toddler.
    My son was born at 33weeks and had a hearing test at 8months. He will have another between 14-18months as his dad also was born with some hearing loss.
    i hope all is ok.

Gwen,
    Eliza although not that premmie at 37 weeks has speech delay, she passed her hearing tests as a newborn and again at 12 and 2 years. What they found was that although she has adequate hearing for speech and development she has alot of fluid in her canals ( she is forever falling over). We are under a speechie that at 2 couldnt say anything but sssss for a snake and NO. This morning she was yelling up please DADDD and horse !! Have no idea where they came from The tools the speechie gave us to work with especially when she was a pointer and grunter has been invaluable.
    Good luck hun
    Bec

REEZY Guest

My Little Boy Was Born At 30wks And He Was Pretty Slow To Do Most Things
    He Didn.t Walk Till Just After Two. Just Started Talking This Month And Only Talks At Home He Wont Talk At All When We Go Out Even When People Talk To Him He Just Looks At Them And Smiles. He Was 3 In January And Has Never Really Answered A Question Anyone Has Asked He Has Just Started To Get Heaps Better With Everything Since He Turned 3.

My neice is a 30 weeker, she's 14 months now, and has only recently starting making anything more than baby babble, but likes to walk around furniture. all premmies get there, they just sometimes take a little longer. But its all the more special

good luck xx