Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums

Default Premmie Mums

Hi Girls,

There seem to have been quite a few premmie bubs born to BB mums over the past few months. How are all your precious bubs doing? And how are all the new mums going?

And how are all the "older" bubs and their mums going? Tiff, Carrie, Gwen, Kirsty, Louise...how are all of you and your gorgeous little ones?

hi Bec

well Maria got bronchiolitis at Easter,but is getting better, it was a scary time hearing her breathe so wheezy. Now I just have to convince her that she need to drink and eat. She is teething again as well which dosn't help.

kirsty Guest

Hey Bec I'm still here too, just a little shell-shocked over recent events so been lying a little lower than normal.

All is good here, James will be 4 soon (another 4mths) & I can't believe it. I look at him now all grown up & wonder if he ever really was so tiny!! What started out as buying "000000" that still didn't really fit is now buying size 4 & wondering how his legs are going to fit into something that looks so long!! But fit they do with only one roll up atm.

How is your gorgeous boy, Joshua going? How are things with you? Hope that all is well with all.

tiggy Guest

Hi Bec!

This is a fab idea! (cheeky girl)!!!

Noah and Ivy had their monthly check today.

GULP, my little buddha weighed in at 6.8kgs!!!!! OMG, he doesn't look prem anymore!! hehe :shock: We have decided to slowly wean him OFF the thickened formula and put him on regular stuff. Fingers crossed he doesn't start up with the reflux again.
    Little Ivy weighed in at 5.2kg but has lengthened by 5cm! So she is long and skinny and STILL looks like a prem but a very cute prem.

We are going in a study through the NICU to see if some medication can decrease the chance of RSV (bronchiolitis) in prem babies, so that will be interesting in coming weeks. All my kids had to be hospitalised because of that dreadful virus, so if I can avoid it, I will. It will be weird stepping back into the NICU after so long.

I put a couple of new piccies up on their site too.

Hi Bec, how are you doing?
    Kyla's going really well....doing lots of growing, learning and generally just being very cute!! Josh is getting big - I love the photo in the swing.

Tiff - Glad to hear that the appointment went well. Hopefully there will be no problems going onto the normal formula. Love the piccies, Noah looks very cheeky and Ivy just looks beautiful. The study sounds interesting...wha do you actually have to do?

Kyla was in a prem study through the Austin hospital where a lady visited weekly and helped me learn how to care for Kyla whilst attempting to keep her anxiety levels down, at the end they did a brain scan. They purported that this intervention assisted increased brain development in prems. We are now in a study that goes til she is one. They visit monthly and track milestones and development...again another brain scan will be done at the end (and we also get piccies of it!)

Kirsty- WOW nearly 4. I's amazing how quickly they develop and grow. I remember thinking when Kyla was born how much I couldn' wait til she was term.

Louise-Sorry to hear Maria isn't well - the poor little cherub! I hope that those toothy pegs come through quickly and stop bothering her.

Hey Girls,

How scary for you, Louise. I'm glad to hear that Maria is getting better now. I hope she gets her appetite back soon too.

Kirsty, totally understandable that you feel like lying low atm. I'm glad to hear from you though - you have been in my thoughts so often lately. It must be amazing to see your little man growing up so much. It's encouraging for me, knowing that our boys were born at the same gestation.

Tiff, wow at your little (or not so little) guy! His face has really filled out, hasn't it? WTG Noah! Fingers crossed the formula change goes smoothly. Sounds like Ivy is a lovely petite little lady. She has such a beautiful little face. How is she going with her feeding? I'll be interested to hear how the study goes too...

Carrie, I'm doing well thanks. The study that Kyla is a part of sounds really interesting. How is she going with her milestones? I love all the new pics on her website. The kangaroo cuddle photo is simply amazing! She has come such a long way! And I must say, you also have a beautiful little lady there!

Josh is doing well. He is 6 months corrected now. I haven't had him weighed for a little while, but I can tell he is putting on weight because he is growing out of all his clothes! I went shopping and bought some outfits for winter a few weeks ago and he fits into all of them already. And I *think* he might be learning to say his first word.....Mum!! He's going through a bit of a squealy stage atm. I don't know if there's a tooth on the way and he's uncomfortable, or if he just likes the sound of his own voice. Either way, I hope it ends soon!

Hey Bec,
    Wow - his first word?
    Kyla also found that she could do his huge high pitched squeal and now does it all the time! It could break glass - and made a boy at babyroo cry..hehehe.
    At the last appointment Kyla was ahead with her milestones, the next appointment is in a week or two and it wouldn't surprise me if she was a bit behind. Other babys in my MG are playing with their feet alot, but kyla doesn't seem to be that interested in them...Oh well, we'll see.

Hi Ladies, i hope you don't mind if i join in?

Ronan was born at 27wks+3 days and is now 32wks+2 days and is going strong.. He has been on CPAP for 13 days now and whilst he is still up & down it's because of his PDA other than that he now weighs 2070 grams, all his tests so far have come back perfect (no brain bleeds or no signs of ROP), he is on 24mls every 2hrs and has been in an open cot for the past 5 days..

I have to say it is very interesting reading about all of your precious children and to learn how well they are growing!

Hi Rac,
    It's great to hear from you! So glad to hear that Ronan is doing well and congratulations on progressing to the open cot! I remember how excited I was when Kyla was able to go into the open cot - it was so much nicer and easier to touch her.
    That's great that all of the tests have come back clear - a big relief I bet.
    How are you going with all the to-ing and fro-ing from hospital?

Hi Carrie..

Yeh no problems.. I was back at work 2 weeks after he was born and got into a nice routine.. I work 5hrs a day, come home and express, make dinner, go visit Ronan and then come home and relax for a few hrs..

We have been doing that for almost 6wks now and it works well..

I have to say the testing of the eyes was my biggest fear! DH has been a diabetic for 26yrs and is now blind in the left eye due to retinal detachment so i was praying that Ronan didn't have any signs of ROP..

I just read about your birthing story with Kyla and i have to say it sounds similar to mine ie: bleeding but i only had a 3hr labour so my heart really goes out to you.. *hugs*

Hello Everyone,

Thought I would join this group.
    My son Nixon is 1 week old today and born 6 1/2 weeks premmie.
    So far he has made so many milestones such as:
    DAY 3
    Got first cuddle! most amazing experience!
    Catheter taken out
    DAY 4
    Taken tube out of his lungs and started breating on his own
    Taken out of humidi-crib to open cot
    Moved from NICU to Special Care
    Started Feeding 3ml every 2hrs
    Monitors for abnormal brain activity taken off
    DAY 5
    Back in humidi crib for photo therapy
    DAY 6
    Finished anti-biotics and drip taken out of his hand
    DAY 7
    Up to 50ml every 3hrs

I came home from Hospital on Saturday which you would all know how hard that is not to be taking your baby home with you. But he is in the best possible care and I am just amazed at what they can do for our baby's they are truley life savers

Carrie, yep, his first word - I'm pretty excited! The first time he said it, I thought it was a fluke. I was in the kitchen at my mum's over Easter and I was making up a bottle. Josh was with my mum and sister in the lounge room. He was actually having a cry because he was hungry and it came out as a wail. We all had a bit of a giggle and said, hey that sounded like he said "mum". But then he did it again a bit later and he has been saying it ever since. It is so cute. Sorry, I'm a bit of a proud mummy!

Milestones can just be so variable, can't they? I think Josh has been on target for his corrected age for a lot of things and some others, he's probably a bit behind. He isn't sitting up yet. That's the one I'm hoping for next. Just on the playing with the feet...Josh has only just become interested in his feet in the last month. He had no interest in them at all and then one day he realised he could stick his toes in his mouth and it became his favourite pasttime!

Rac & Nickers, Hi! Great to see you both posting in here. Just to tell you a little bit about us...my son Joshua was born @ 32+4 in August last year. He spent 4 weeks in hospital. He's now a few days off 8 months old and is just over 6 months corrected and he is going really well.

Rac, it sounds like Ronan is doing so well! When Josh was born at 32+4 he was 1796g, so Ronan is going great guns with his weight gain. It sounds like you've got a good routine going. Will you get to have some time off work when Ronan comes home?

Nickers, It is really hard not taking your baby home with you, isn't it? It does sound like Nixon is progressing really well though. Every little step or improvement is exciting. Each tube coming out and monitor coming off is a big thing! And 50ml feeds is great!

I would love to hear more updates on both your little men when you get the chance.

Hi everyone - I have to say, it's great having a little chat thread going, especially for those who have just had their babys...I know I would have loved to chat to other premmie mums when I first got out of hospital. Speaking of which....
    Nick - Congratulations on the birth of Nixon. It's awful having to leave them at hospital isn't it? Although you do know it's the best place for them. And wow at his feeding! 50 mls is fantastic, it sounds as though he's powering along! What hospital is he in?

Bec- I don't blame you one little bit for being proud, it must be great to hear "mum" come from your little one....however I sure that in a year or so we'll all be complaining about the amount of mums coming from them LOL.

Rac-It sounds as though you're very organised! That's great that there are no signs of the ROP also.
    Wow at getting through my birth story- it was a bit long know! But good to get it down all the same. I'll have to have a good look through your site - is your story on there?

Tiff, Kirsty and Kitten - hope you are all doing well.

YaY Nickers glad to see you here!! \/

That is just such fantastic news about Nixon, WOW milestones galore!! \/
    Nixon is about 5wks ahead of Ronan so i can't wait until he is at the same stage, you must be so so proud!

Bec WoW first word? that is awesome news and brings hope to us new premmie mums..

Carrie There is a short story on the front of Ronan's website but i should write a more detailed one in the birth stories section..

We are going to see Ronan soon but we are just waiting for my DH's aunt to come over.. I changed his nappy last night and cleaned his eyes etc and it is so nice to be envolved in his care.. I changed his first nappy when he was 3 days old and it's amazing to know he is in Huggies newborn nappies already! \/

Nic make sure you keep coming back and give us updates!

Im back for an update!
    This mornings visit we were told he should be moved further down the line in the next 24hrs! for anyone not familiar with Mercy (and not sure how other hosp works) they start at one end of the room and make their way down the yellow brick rd around the cnr before going home!
    When Nixon first entered SCU a few days ago he jumped half way down.
    This afternoons visit he had moved down the line again making him 3/4 down the yellow brick rd!( just what i call it)

So now he has no moniotrs or tubes other then his feeding tube which we have stared working on. i have a lactation consultant meeting me tomorrow to try and help but tonight he gave a few sucks here and there which was great! but then he fell aslepp!
    We also gave him his first bath!! how good that was to wash his hair, its so soft & smells so nice now. he can have a bath every 2-3days.

Im still to update Nixons website, but i did spend half the day downloading all the pics and re sizing them so one step closer to getting it done then you can see his pics and progress!

Rac- it will be no time before Ronan gets to this stage, its amazing how much he has already done since he was 27weeks! You sound very organised with work & going to hosp thats one thing i said to DH we need to really get into a pattern and one of us be there for as many feeds as possible.

at the moment i can not drive (c-section) which is frustrating but another week we will be sorted. MIL is coming from Sydney (all our fam are in syd) tomorrow so she will take me to and from the hospital.

Bec- First word hey! wow how amazing! and even better his first word was mum!!!

Hi guys - Sorry, I haven't been on all week as Kyla's been sick and VERY irritable which has not been fun at all. I'm hoping that she's on the up now though!

Nick - Things sound like they're going well. How did the lactation consultation go? IKWYM re: the falling asleep! That was Kyla's major problem and very frustrating, I suppose that it's hard work for them though.

tiggy Guest

Carrie, sorry to hear that Kyla has been sick. Fingers crossed that she and you feel better soon.
    Ivy is unwell too, crying and vomiting heaps. Don't know if it's reflux or gastro...there's nothing coming out the other end... I'm so over sick kids.

I'm looking forward to the end of school holidays.

Poor little Ivy... I think gastro has been going around a bit lately. One of the mums and bubs in my MG had it. Hope she's feeling better soon, it's awful when your bubs is sick and you can't do anything to make it go away!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast