Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIL in labour at 31.5wks!

Default SIL in labour at 31.5wks!

Hi guys,

Just found out that my SIL's waters broke this arv, and she is now in active labour at 31.5wks! Just wondering if anyone has had a bub this early and could give me any info about what to expect... apparently she had a scan last week that told her bub was around 2kg already... dont know much more than that!
    Any advice/words of experience would be helpful

TIA

I'm sorry, I have no advice to give, but I hope everything goes ok with your SIL and your niece/nephew

Hi Sneakysparkle
    The main concern with this baby would be breathing. I would expect this baby to be in NICU for a few days having oxygen and probably on a machine to help with breathing. Another problem is not having the strength to successfully breastfeed. You can expect this baby to have a tube put up its nose and down into its stomach. They can then put milk down this tube and thus ensure that the baby has enough food and fluids. However after saying this, a few years ago I was present at the birth of a baby at 33 weeks who did not need any help at all.

All the best Sneakysparkle, I hope little bub and mum are ok.

Thanks Jodi & Madsmum for your encouragement & well wishes, and thankyou Alan for your words of experience!
    We are just waiting by the phone now, its hard cos we aren't even in the same state!

A friend of mine 4 or 5 weeks ago had her baby at 30 weeks and she is doing well i think she was about 1400g at birth she has been moved to a closer hospital and doing really well.

Good luck to your SIL and hope they both are well

how is your SIL???

My son was born at 33weeks and he weighed 2296grams which was quiet big for his gestation.
    2kg sounds like a great size for a 31weeker i remember the paed advising me before Nixon was born at 33wks average size is 1.8-2.2kg so sounds like her bub is grwoing well.
    My son needed help breathing and was ventillated for this.
    If she was in labour for some time they may have even given her steriod injections which helps bubs lungs.
    bub will be in a humidi crib as he/she probably wont be able to maintain body temperature just yet.
    Most likely have jaundice and need a little photo therapy.

i hope they are both doing well and let us know how things went

Thanks allgirls and nickers...
    SIL is going ok (as far as I know) she's still in labour, had some pethidene to get some sleep, and bub has had 2 steriod injections. The drs seem happy with that. Now they are just deciding whether or not to put her on the synto drip to speed things up... will keep you posted.

keeping them both in my thoughts...looking forward to the announcement

My friend had her little man at 32 weeks in January & he is doing so well now, just had his 6 month check up on Monday & he is perfect. He was in the NICU for about 2.5 weeks & then transferred to SCN for about the same time & went home when he would have been 37 weeks.

I hope your sister and her baby are doing ok. I am keeping them both in my thoughts today.

Thanks so much Mel, Sarah & Marlene
    Just got another message update - sounds like my sis & her support team are all in good spirits, so thats encouraging.

All the best for your SIL....i cant wait to hear how she goes!

Thinking of and praying for your SIL and her bub.

I hope all goes well

Well bubby has finally arrived!

Little Maddison Chloe and her mum are both doing well - Maddison came out crying and was breathing well. She is just under 2kg (haven't got exacts yet!) and got to have cuddles before going into the special care unit.

My SIL ended up having an epidural and the synto drip but was able to birth bub ok.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes

I am so glad all went well, and she is ok please send my thoughts to them Oh and congrats on becomming an Aunty

Wow...congrats!

wow im glad everything is ok!!!
    congrats to you and your family and of course your SIL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast