Thread: useful premmy gift for mum or bubs?

Default useful premmy gift for mum or bubs?

Hiya,
    My friend gave birth this morning (31 weeks 4 days) and I was wondering what a useful gift would be? Obviously not silly things like teddy bears etc....but something mum could do with (breastpump?). Do prem babies actually need anything?
    Thanks

A breast pump is a great idea, because bubs will need all the colostrum she can get, plus it will help her keep supply until she is able to BF herself. Also, because she will be doing heaps of trips back and forth to the hospital, maybe you could cook a heap of their favourite meals so they don't have to cook at the end of the day. or even a diary, so she can jot down how she is feeling about things.

tiggy Guest

Yeah, Sherie, I was given a NICU diary (you can find them on the Austprem site). It was good. Meals are a great idea too, there are actually places out there that do this, make up a certain number of meals. What else was helpful for me? My Mum bought Ivy and Noah a little prem outfit, which was so nice because when you dress them in their own clothes,they actually feel like your babies, not the NICU's. You can usually find these in the hospital pink ladies shop and there are some nice outfits on the internet.
    The other thing that was great (if you're up for spending a bit) was a hug - a - bub! When I brought the babies home, they were so tiny and just loved to be snuggled up close to David or me. It was brilliant for extended kangaroo cuddles (skin to skin) when I had other stuff to do too. I would strap it on, then put either one in, then pop on a t - shirt and away I went with dinner etc. It's the gift that keeps on giving too because now they are one, I strap them on, looking out at the world - it's great especially when we go shopping.
    Last edited by tiggy; November 21st, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

Oooh, great suggestions ladies! Keep them coming!

Definately the premmie clothing as you never expect or prepare for a teeny bub and don't have any suitable outfits for somebody so tiny. Also with travelling back and forth from the NICU - and spending all the time you can with bubs there is no time for shopping. I was given great prem clothes, beenies, socks.... The meals is also a fab suggestion. We were fortunate to have a good friend who helped us out with meals a bit but nobody else. I really would have welcomed the meals. Oh a good hand cream is also great as you need to wash your hands thoroughly soooo many times in the NICU that they dry out quickly. Breast pads? Footspa with lavendar oil for parent relaxation at the end of the day...or for while mum's expressing milk to take?

tiggy Guest

How about a breastfeeding pack? Some nutritious (pick up and go type) food, fruit in season, some Fenugreek and a big tin of Activite to boost supply? (You could even write down the recipe from Belly Belly for her). You never ever have time to eat properly when you are going back and forth to the NICU but you are expected to express every two to three hours.
    ETA; great suggestion Rae re the hand cream, my hands were so broken down by the end of our experience.
    Last edited by tiggy; November 21st, 2006 at 04:32 PM.

yep hand cream GREAT idea! Breastfeeding pack also a great idea.
    Only suggestion i would say b4 buying her a pump is if she is using or planning using a hand or electric one. Electric ones can be quiet expensive but when expressing all the time you need one otherwise your arm would drop off manually doing it all the time!
    I hired one, the same brand i was using when i was in hospital from my local chemist(medela). so if u speak to your friend u could ask if she was going to get one and even organise an electric pump hire for xxx of weeks or whatever.....
    i didnt actually get any practical things for our hospital stay (mostly cause all friends & fam interstate) but would have loved some of these ideas the girls have suggested!
    let us know what you go with.

one lady on austprem said the thing she wanted the most was a congrstulation of the birth of your baby card, as everyone got her get well soon cards!! Its always the little things that mean the most. Someone also mentioned a diary with a pen attached, so all their little milestones can go in, something that everyone could write in, nurses included. And if u can, go visit!! I was so proud that my daughter was here, even if she was early, but no friends of ours called or visited... i just wanted to show everyone how beautiful and precious my daughter was!! And all the other suggestions were spot on too

Good luck to your friend