Thread: Baby hammock or baby bassinet? First 3mths....

Talking Baby hammock or baby bassinet? First 3mths....

Hi,

This is our first bub so i have no idea when it comes to all this stuff!! I'm new at all this!

We are looking at purchasing a bassinet or a hammock for our bedroom so that the baby can sleep in our room with us for the first few precious weeks; probably 2-3mths is the plan depends how it all goes..... easier for me when breastfeeding so i'm not getting up to go to another room down the hall etc etc.... and so we have peace of mind bubs is with us in the room and all is ok!

My question is..... I am leaning more towards purchasing a baby hammock rather than the bassinet.... they look better and more comfy for bubs. I was looking at one on ebay, brand new $149.00 and they are gorgeous. The mother who sells them claims they are better for bub's sleeping as the baby is positioned more like they are when in the womb so it's a better transition for them after being in the womb! amongst other things like good for reflux and colic babies etc..... and it gently rocks and sways so if the baby moves and wakes up it rocks the baby back to sleep iykwim....

Anyone care to tell me about their experience with baby hammocks? Are they better?

Sorry I'm no help. I put DD straight into her cot in her bedroom when she was born (although she was in a tetra snuggle bed for the first few months). DD was a snorer & with DH already snoring I didnt need one on either side LOL

This time round I have a bassinette as the babys room is further away from ours than DD's was & his room may not be done in time so he may need to sleep in our room anyway.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies soon, heaps of people seem to recommend the hammock & they look so comfy!!!

DD1 went straight to a cot from birth.

DD2 went into a cradle but only lasted until 8/9 weeks old as she was to long and moved around alot making it squeak!!

I like the look of hammocks

We had DS in a bassinette for about 2 weeks and then he outgrew it, so went into the cot.
    With this one, because DS is still in the cot, we are hiring a hammock and will put the baby in that. Some bubs don't actually like hammocks so we didn't want to spend too much money on something that might end up lying around the house not being used!!!!! We borrow our bassinette too, just because they aren't in it for that long, no sense in buying one!! (well, we don't think so cos we are cheapo's.. lol)

[QUOTE=Renstar;1336945] I was looking at one on ebay, brand new $149.00 and they are gorgeous. The mother who sells them claims they are better for bub's sleeping as the baby is positioned more like they are when in the womb so it's a better transition for them after being in the womb! QUOTE]

Renstar, I brought one off that lady on ebay. It arrived today. Harrison is in it right now, sleeping better then a baby . We have had to hold him for his day sleeps, yes the whole time he was sleeping, until today . I wish I brought it 5 months ago. I would recommond them 100%. I am going to keep him in it as long as I can.

We're trying the hammock for the first few months - we lent it out to a friend with a 6 month old bub that refused to settle in a cot and she thought it was wonderful.

We've got it set up and waiting in the nursery...it looks very comfy, I'm jealous....wonder if they come in bigger sizes?

HPsMum - that's wonderful to hear!! Sounds like your baby is in for some nice long sleeps from now on way to go! I'm so glad to hear that positive feedback! The product looks just great! And it's free delivery it says it is for babies from birth - 9mths so any baby should get a fair amount of use out of it i would imagine??
    Just checking with you, that its the one where there is a baby sleeping soundly in one of the pictures with a pink bonds suit on? is that the one?

TheBear - yes i wonder if they come in 'adult' sizes???? hehe

Buy the baby hammock. I got one for my third and he was our best sleeper. It's very easy to bounce and rock when they're unsettled. Search belly belly as there is a thread about baby hammocks. Amby baby hammock is my preference.

Jovie did wonderfully in the hammock, it took a few weeks to get used too, but once she was in it (she co-slept mostly) she settled so much quicker.

The same hammock has been through a few little BB babies now

Quote Originally Posted by Renstar View Post
    HPsMum - it says it is for babies from birth - 9mths so any baby should get a fair amount of use out of it i would imagine??
    Just checking with you, that its the one where there is a baby sleeping soundly in one of the pictures with a pink bonds suit on? is that the one?
    Yes, that is the one with bub in a pink bonds suit on. Free post. Harrison slept for TWO hours, he woke up once and I just bounced him a minute and he went right back to sleep. He normally gets really him bad wind/reflux when we lay him down but he didn't get it in the hammock. I think you would get heaps of use out of it. I am so so happy with mine. It's the best thing I ever brought.

We went for the Amby hammock - seems like a well built bit of kit...

If you want to hire one to try in case bubs doesn't like it and you spend alot of money, I just called Hire for Baby today and they hire out for 1 week as a trial and it is $33. If you then want to extend hire for 3mths it is $88 minus the $33 you have paid! Or you could buy one after that week if you know bubs likes it.
    They are the Amby hammocks that they have. HtH

Hey Renee! There is a thread about hammocks here: http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/comf...mocks-2-a.html

I have posted in there numerous times raving about the Amby baby hammock, it changed our lives with DS1! Definitely the best item we bought.

Unfortunately DS2 didn't like it at all, but he was a good cot sleeper so it really wasn't an issue.

I don't think you'd regret it if you bought one!

Tanstar - Did you talk to Penny at Hire for Baby? She is ace! I bought her second hand baby good business from her 3 years ago

Yep Trish - spoke to her today!!!! She was great, gave me lots of info and told me to call a few weeks before bub arrives to tentatively book! What suburb is your business in hun?

I run it from home in Forest Hill

We used an amby baby hammock. It was wonderful. Both my boys loved it.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!!

Well, DH and I went and collected it from the lady (instead of getting her to deliver it) as she only lives 20mins up the road from us!! She says she sells heaps of them... her first two kids didn't have one but her 3rd bub did and her 3rd bub is 4mths old now and has slept the best out of all of her kids!! So that's a great thing huh!
    She said how did i hear about it and I said a forum called "belly belly" and also e-bay where she was listing it as i was searching for bassinets at the time i found it....
    She said she had no idea when she had her first baby about what to buy etc and said i am very switched on for a first timer!! hehe and i told her it's all because of bellybelly!!
    I've learnt so much....

Anyway, it was $149 brand new (she sells heaps )and we've set it up in the nursery and it's just gorgeous!! Not sure of the brand, it doesn't come with a pamphlet just flat packed in a white box (probably from china!!) but she said if i wanted a product sheet on it she has one.... but looks VERY similar to the Amby Baby one!