thread: Baby shower gift suggestions

May 2011
    Adelaide

Baby shower gift suggestions

I'm not sure if I've got this in the right spot so many apologies if I should have posted elsewhere.

Planning for my baby shower is underway and I thought with the invitations, it might be a good idea to send a list of gift suggestions. I know I love getting these when I'm invited to a baby shower cause it can be so hard to know what the Mummy to be needs, but it's possible not everyone feels the same.

Do you think this is a good idea, or would it be considered rude (which is what DF thinks)? Assuming it is a good idea, what kind of things should I put on there? Just the basics like nappies and wipes, or would it be ok to say I want something specific like X nappy bag assuming some people may want to give a 'group' gift? Any suggestions for what I should put on the list would be helpful as at this stage, I don't even know what I will need and probably won't until bub is here! So any suggestions are welcome!

Feb 2010
    on a big patch of paradise.

My worry would be that I would get 10 of one thing and nothing of anything else, you would probably need someone to manage it and have people check in with what they have bought. Nappies would be the exception to getting more then one ofWould you consider a gift registry instead?

May 2011

I know what you mean, you feel bad asking for something specific but you get so much of the same thing that you are really doing everyone a favour in the long run. I think a gift registery or even request vouchers for a specific store? Then the money will go to something you really need instead of jumpsuits all in size 0000 that you may never even use....
    good luck x

May 2011
    Adelaide

A gift registry is something I've considered but don't want people to feel like they have to buy from THAT store. Quite a few of my friends tend to do a lot of online shopping and know that you can often find something much cheaper online than you can instore so it really doesn't avoid the problem of getting more than one. I do love the idea of gift vouchers so have definitely thought about including that on the list.

The other problem with something like a gift registry is I'm very limited in which store I could use, though it is possible I just don't know what's out there. I'm actually having 2 showers as all my family are in Sydney but I live in Adelaide. It's not really possible for 95% of the people in each state to travel to the other so I'm doing the traveling. Not that I mind being spoilt 2 days but I would need to find a store that is in both states and in locations that are easy and convenient for everyone. Baby Bunting is close to everyone in each state but I don't think they do a registry...Not really sure what other baby stores are about other than Baby Haggle, but that's SA only.

Any suggestions for what I could ask for, whether it's just a list or registry aside from the usual - nappies, wipes, singlets, wraps, etc?

Add sepata on Facebook

Sep 2011
    Sydney

My cousin did an online registry type of thing where she listed stuff that she wanted and her guests would log in and 'purchase' something to take it off the list, but then actually bought it from a shop or online. I've deleted the email so I can't tell you what site she used but something like that should come up if you google...hth

Excuse my sucky spelling, I'm on my iPhone

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Sep 2011

Definitely do an online registry if you want to give specific suggestions. There are lots of options out there that are not store specific. Otherwise I think it's ok to ask for vouchers to go towards bigger ticket items like prams, furniture, etc.