Thread: Bassinetes

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Default Bassinetes

Is it necessary to put a new born in a bassinet? Are they safe in a cot from the start?

nope not all!! its personal choice if you want a bassinet or not..
    they are fine to go into a cot straight off!!

they can go into the cot straight off and second time round I would prob do that. The cradle was great cause it rocked but in the end I didn't want Mackenzie to get used to that so I stopped rocking her anyway. It did look cute though!!!

I put DD and DS1 straight into a cot, i put DS2 in a bassinette and this bubs is going into a bassinette. I think its easier if you do have a bassinette as you dont have to bend as far over if you did put them in the cot, and also it would be great if you had a c/s. But it is totally up to you. I put DS2 in the bassinette in our room and it was great. With this bubs they have to go in a bassinette as DS2 is still in the cot ATM, hopeing he will be ready for the big "move" to a bed at about 14 months like DS1.
    Hope that helped!

I had DD in a bassinette for the first 4 months then into her cot. It's a very personal choice & it depends on your budget too. Bassinettes can be very expensive and you only use them for such a short time. I got one second hand for $25 and just bought a new mattress & sheets.

I got to use a bassinet with DD (which was the best thing we ever got I think) as with DS his Cot was in our room anyway in the old place.
    Her Cot was in her room waiting for her for day naps and when she started sleeping all night.
    I just think whatever you choose you want in your room, it's just so handy when they are newborn.
    Then later on it's great to have your room back too.

But to answer your question Daniellabella, they are safe in a cot from day one if it meets safety standards and you can even get newborn insert thingos that keep them in a position in the cot, most newborns don't move or roll for a bit so not trapped arms etc if you are worried.
    It's the blankets and sheets and bumpers you gotta think about and that's in both bassinets and cots.

Woops, there goes me blabbing again. HTH