Thread: Boori Furniture Smell

Default Boori Furniture Smell

Hi - we ordered and recieved our Boori furniture about a month ago and there is still a really strong smell from the wood....

has anyone else experienced or got any idea of how to get rid of it. Bub is due next week and I worried about putting him in a room that smells like chemicals or something...

Keep the windows WIDE open if you are not already. If you have a covered deck or anything I would move it all out there for a good few days. Its really important you do this with any new furniture you get - its full of chemicals, smells and factory dust.

I use to work in a baby store and we use to assembly the furniture in the warehouse out the back then bring it out in the show room a week later for that reason!! It will go but keep all windows and doors open and if possible a fan on in the room so the air is being circulated out of the room!!

Hi - thanks for your replies.

I have had the windows and fan going for about a month and the smell is still as strong. i might try airing it out on a our verandah tomorrow. fingers crossed this will help...

Try washing it down too.

Warm water as hot as you can put your hand into without getting burnt.

If you have any drawers pull them out and wipe them out as well and leave them out of the furniture - often the smell is from the drawers where there is more raw wood.

oh cool thanks for that!

was so anxious about putting a new baby in that room so hopefully it will help...

Try putting Bi-carb soda near the cot/in the drawers (in a tub) too, it can help absorb odours.

our cot has been up for 3.5 yrs and still smells like it.
    i especially noticed it when we moved..

I had this problem with Boori furniture too. The cot was fine, but the change table had a really strong smell for a very long time. I think it was the chipboard that the shelves were made of. I left the window open in the nursery and eventually it went away. If you've got somewhere safe to put it outside, I think that will really help.

My DS has a boori cot, but didn't sleep in it until he was over a year old, as I ended up having him in our room with us (first in a bassinet, then in a portacot). By the time he made it into his cot, any smell it had was long gone!

I guess if you still aren't happy with the smell by the time your bring your baby home... perhaps you could use a bassinet in a different room for a week or so??