Thread: Car seat in Hilux

Question Car seat in Hilux

Hi everyone - we had our bub 10wks ago today and have decided to drive to Karratha in January to spend time with my Dad. We are thinking about taking my husbands Toyota Hilux dual cab as it's got the back canopy which can fit our son's pram/portacot etc better than our Commodore can.
    I'm just wondering if a Safe N Sound Meridian AHR can be fitted to a Hilux? I'm worried that it won't be able to as everything won't fit in our other car (and we'd feel safer in a big 4WD with a bull bar and spotties).
    Thanks for any info!!

Hi, we have a Hilux too, our car seat fits well but we needed to buy an extra strap because the strap did not reach. The car place that fitted it had the strap and it cost us $35. The only thing I found was that because we had the seat put behind the passenger seat the passenger has less leg room because their seat is pushed further forward so when we went on long drives I would sit in the back for some of the trip.

I hope you have a lovely trip.

Our meridian would only fit in our Navara dual cab if passenger seat was right forward, we ended up getting a SafenSound Compaq which fits with the seat back far enough for me to be comforable in the passenger seat.

Have a safe & fun holiday

Is it not possible to have the car seat in the middle of the back seat? Does it have to be behind one of the front seats...?

With the Navara if we have carseat in middle both seats have to be moved forward to fit in not sure what the space is like in the rear of the Hilux, which isn't good for DH but OK for a shortbum like me

We have a safe & sound in our Hilux for Sam - it just fit in when it was in the lay down position for a new born. Didn't have to get any extra straps.

We have an older 2003 model Hilux as well as a newer 2009 model Hilux, our car seat fits just fine in both, but is a bugger to put it into the new ute!!! We have to put it in the passenger side with both utes. If there is an achor point in the middle then there should be no reason why you can't have it in the middle. It is really easy getting bub in and out when it's on the side though! Easy to get use to, rather than having to climb into the back of the commi (I have a commodore too)!

Oops yeah in the laydown/newborn we have to have seats forward, once she's big enough to face forward will fit no dramas middle or sides.

Ours is a 2005 SR model.
    So it suppose it really does depend on your model.

Ours is a yr 2000 model - not sure on any other info. All I know is that it's a manual/diesel... Our bub will be 6 months by that stage so could we possibly get the car seat put in the middle? Would a place like RAC be able to take the car seat out of my car and put it in the 4wd?

MrsK - yes, although you may need to drill another hole in the chassis for the anchor point. Helpful hint - once the car seat goes in, you won't be able to lift the back bench seat, so make sure your jacks etc aren't under the seat.