Thread: Car Seats - what did you do?

Default Car Seats - what did you do?

DD is almost a year old, weighs 11kg and we're expecting another baby in early January. We have a Safe n Sound Premium convertible car seat for DD.

We need to get a 2nd car seat, but I'm wondering if I just get another the same type, or if I should get one of those toddler car seats (not sure what they are called, but they are only forward facing) for DD and use the S&S for the new baby?

If there's anyone that had babies close together what did you do?

I would get a maxi rider or similar for your oldest child and use the convertible seat for the baby. With the new car seat laws your DD1 needs to be in a seat with a 5 point harness so a regular booster seat isn't suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    I would get a maxi rider or similar for your oldest child and use the convertible seat for the baby. With the new car seat laws your DD1 needs to be in a seat with a 5 point harness so a regular booster seat isn't suitable.
    Thanks! will look into the maxi rider

I knew she was a bit young for one of those booster seats, they don't use those til they are a fair bit older do they?

Our son will be 2 years 8 months when the second baby comes, so still too young for a regular booster seat (which are used from4-7 years). We've gone for one of the convertible booster seats. They can be used from 1-7 years (8-26kg).

When DD1 was born, we got DS a maxi rider, and moved her into his seat. Then when DD2 was born, we just got another convertible one, but DD1 got the new one, and DD2 got the older one because it actually allows for rearward facing for alot longer. ITMS.

So when this new one comes along, bubs will go into DD2's seat, DD2 will move into DD1's seat, DD1 will move into the maxi rider, and we'll buy a booster for DS cos he will be over 4 years by then.

I think I just confused myself

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    When DD1 was born, we got DS a maxi rider, and moved her into his seat. Then when DD2 was born, we just got another convertible one, but DD1 got the new one, and DD2 got the older one because it actually allows for rearward facing for alot longer. ITMS.

So when this new one comes along, bubs will go into DD1's seat, DD2 will move into DD1's seat, DD1 will move into the maxi rider, and we'll buy a booster for DS cos he will be over 4 years by then.

I think I just confused myself
    Erm..... haha. I think I follow you.

So maxi rider is about $300, and maxi rider with a fancy head thing is $450.

Is the fancy head thing worth an extra $150?

I just have the regular maxi rider - not the one with the special head rest thingy.

And I knew I confused myself, I did make an error in my last post - it was supposed to say bubs will move into DD2's seat...

I never worried about the fancy head thing, I just got the stock standard maxi rider and it was about $385.

We bought an Infa Secure (same sort of seat as the maxi rider) for $190.

Yeah am thinking fancy head thing may be a bit of a gimmick... does a 17 month old even need the extra support?

Babies Galore have maxi rider on sale for $299, best price I can find so far.

For DD2 we have a Maxi Rider (without the fancy head thingy).

I agree we just got DD1 the maxi rider (we borrowed SIL's old Turn-a-tot for her b4 we bought this) which will last her AGES and DD2 got our turn-a-tot.

SIL is getting her turn-a-tot back and instead of turning DD2 around and then getting her a maxi-rider later i am hoping to see if we can keep her rear facing til 12mths and then just put her straight into a maxi-rider. they say from 6mths but the baby stores don't suggest it.

TBH I would choose the maxirider with the AHR for a younger child. I chose to pay the extra for DD, because she looked much more secure in it and if god forbid we were in a car accident, then her head wouldn't be able to move as much side to side. Just thought I would share my reasons for picking the MR AHR over just the straight MR.

Thanks for all your advice... we ended up getting the maxirider AHR with the fancy head support because they had it on sale at Babies Galore for $340. The one without the fancy head support's RRP is $369 so we thought we got quite a bargain.... looks super comfy and love the cup holders! Thanks again

My 17month old son has that maxi rider Anise, isnt it so lush