Thread: Cot beds: What age do they usually last until?

Question Cot beds: What age do they usually last until?

Hey mummies

How long can a cot bed be used for?..until what age I mean..

Has anyone had still got their older toddler/small child sleeping in one?

We're just trying to work out what to buy when bub 2 comes along as DD will still be quite young (she has a boori cot bed now) and I don't think would cope with a proper child's bed.

Thanks!

We put the bars down on DS's cot/bed when he was 18 months old and have just purchased him a new big bed. He is a very very long big boy tho so the cot/bed was getting just that bit small for him. If he was an average sized child he most probably could have lasted till around the 2 1/2 age mark.

I have my 2 yr old still in one and we are not even thinking about a bed yet ( proble be in there until I start tring for number 4 next year)

My 5 year old can still fit in to it so they are plenty long enough and like Ang said you can always put the sides down when DD is older, so in other word it wouldnt hurt getting a 2nd cot...

I just brought my son a toddler bed he is 15mnths but my freinds little boy is nearly 4 and still in his, I can imagine cooper will be in his til he is 3 or 4.

It is so hard to know what to do isn't it hun. Izzy will be 16 1/2 mths when our little man arrives, but he will be in a cradle for around 3 mths. So when Izzy is around 20 mths we are going to move her to a single bed. I looked at toddler beds but it just seemed a waste really so we will use a normal single bed and put a rail up on it. figure that once they are in a "bed" it doesn't really matter how long it is IYKWIM? I am going to get DH to cut the legs on the single bed that we have and make it a bit lower to the ground and she can use it for years to come! HtH! Ikea also have beds that can adjust from toddler length to single bed length - I think they are worth looking at too if you don't want to go right to a single bed.

My DD swapped to a bed at about 2 yrs old. I put her bed up and left the cot in her room as well incase she wanted to get back in it. But she never did, loves her big bed
    If your going to use the cot or the baby (if u can) i would move to a big bed atleast a lil while before baby is due to comvert from bassinette to cot otherwise your DD might feel your taking it from her and giving to the baby.
    Just a thought, not neccessarily what will happen.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your input.

Still not sure what we'll do..but you've given me a few ideas.
    One thing that I did find the other day, was a BIG cot bed (well bigger dimensions then most of the cot beds)..so that will be definitely worth looking at I think.

Thanks!