Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cot vs Bassinet?

Default Cot vs Bassinet?

Hi
    I thought it about time I started thinking about equipment for bubs - should I purchase a bassinet or is a cot for a newborn okay?

I have seen that you can buy a 'bumper' type-thing where baby is sat between two bumpers whilst sleeping (to stop rolling I assume) - if anyone knows what I am talking about do you think they are necessary in a cot?

Sorry just getting very confused as to what I should do.
    Thanks, T.

I borrowed a bassinet from someone and found it useful as it was coming into winter and really cold. It was also useful as you could move it from room to room wherever you were. But I dont think it was really necessary. I havent used an antiroll device but havent needed one - DS is a natural back sleeper and has only just started rolling in the last couple of months.
    If you have to buy a bassinet I would think twice.
    HTH

I have used a bassinette for all my bubs, only because my Mum bought it for me. It is handy as you can move it around, and it is a small cosy spot for them. On the other hand they are only in it for a few months as when they start rolling around they are better off (imo) in a cot as they cant fall out etc.

I haven't used a snuggle bed before, but was considering one with this bub but as she will be sleeping in our room i ended up getting another bassinette. (i sold all baby items 2 years ago BUGGER!)

So it's a real personal preference really, as well as what is in your budget. And i've heard of babies not liking one or the other.

Hope i haven't confused you more...... And i hope i made some kind of sense.

Hi Tess!

I think a basinette is just great for a newborn..Cosy..you can have it beside your bed..move it around the house for daytime sleeps. We used a Moses basket (like a basinette) and left our bub in it until she was 4 months. I loved having her beside our bed. But really it depends on your money situation..you definitely don't NEED one, cots are fine.

All the best! How exciting for you!

We used a cradle and then a cot - but Pip grew out of it at 5 months.

Enchanted Guest

Hi Tess,

I too have a bassinette but don't think it was a neccessity. We were given one which was great but I am glad we didn't buy one as Oscar was only in it for around 6 weeks then was moved to his cot.

As others have said... it depends on your budget and personal preference. An idea though.... have you got someone you could ask to borrow one off?!?

oops sorry thought you meant a snuggle bed, i never used the roll thingy.

~Belinda~ Guest

Hi,

I bought a beautiful bassinette from my SIL's girlfriend for $50, a real bargain. I want our little one in our room for a while and I think it's good being able to wheel the bassinette around.

We also have a cot for Bubs too when she grows out of bassinette. I bought an anti-roll thingo too.

I guess it's personal preference really but I am yet to learn everything and will be a first time Mum soon!

Good luck making a decision.

Last edited by ~Belinda~; November 4th, 2007 at 07:59 PM.

I used a cot straight up with my first and an anti-roll thingo but it was winter at the time and was just sooo cold to get out and feed him I even resorted to useing the basinnet section of my pram next to my bed With my second I went out and bought a bassinet brand new, DD was in it for 5/6 months it was fantastic although not really necessary it was a great luxury item iykwim? I think it's paid it's self off as I'll be using it again this time around right next to my bed

You can sometimes pick up a bargain bassinet on Ebay or baby sales etc I only paid $80 for mine without the stand and that was new so I don't think it's that much of an expence

I am using a cradle for the first time with this baby but I personally don't think they are neccessary.. We just managed to get one at a great price

I used cots straight up and the pram around the house during day sleeps or a rocker ect

As for the rolly thing.. never used one.. if you want to stop them rolling a nappy does the trick..

i used a bassinette first off because i wanted bub in our room and there was no way a cot would fit in our room.

Hey darkling, how exciting with less than 3 months to go

I managed to get a gorgeous basinette off ebay for $70 otherwise I wouldnt have bothered. It was handy to move from room to room as the others have said, and easy to fit in our bedroom.

It was nice as DS felt cosy and secure in there, but its definitely not necessary, up to you

Thanks heaps for your replies - I feel more confident now that I am not doing the wrong thing by only getting a cot. I might see if I can borrow one though as they do sound handy. At least it will be summer though so the cold issue will not be a problem.

I might also wait and see if bubs is a roller before buying the antiroll thing - or just use a rolled up nappy or blanket to wedge them straight.

Thanks again - I cannot believe how nervous and ill prepared I am now feeling.
    T.

lilmky Guest

you can hire bassinetts too, we were only going to use the cot but when we got home and bubs screamed everytime we put him in the cot, we soon hired a hospital type bassinett for our room, cost $110 for 12 weeks, he was in it till he was 3 months old as he was too long then.

He spent most of his first month in bed with me, then 50-50 for his second month, by 3 months he was in his cot and 4 months he was in his cot in his room.

~Belinda~ Guest

or you could try ebay!

I am another that used the bassinette all for similar reasons. It is one of those things though that you can decide for yourself once you get baby home from hospital, if you find they are unsettled n the cot, or want to be able to move them around the house while they are sleeping then it is easy enough to go out and get one then.

I got mine off ebay too.. Only paid $50 for it. gotta love a bargain.

You can always get a bassinette after bubs is born if he or she doesn't like the cot.

What I found more handy is the bassinette (or "cocoon" for P&T's brand) insert for my pram. I used that heaps, especially when visitng friends. Pip still fits in his cocoon - best $80 spent!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast