Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to use special clothes detergent?

Question Do I need to use special clothes detergent?

Just a quick question....I have been given different advise from different people re washing the baby clothes.

I was of the mind of just washing the new clothes in the same detergent that me and my DH use. We don't have sensitive skin, or any other skin problems so () baby shouldn't either.

But I do understand baby skin is much more sensitive, so should I use a special baby/sensitive detergent for the baby clothes - at least until it's a little older?

PS I had been told 1 thing or the other from people who already have children so I'm a little confused!

Hi there
    We are the same no allergies or senstivities.
    But i found if i used normal detergents on bubs sheets in the first 4-5 months, she would get rashes

So we use amolin or a sensitive liquid and on all our clothes and sheets (as she woul dbe in our bed etc) .

Now at 12 months i dont worry so much.

it doesnt work out much more expensive to swap all washin over.

maybe an extra $1 a bottle

For the first wash I am using Lux flakes - which is pure soap, and just doing a handwash with everything and drying them outside in the sun - can run them through the spin cycle in the washing machine to get them drier first. Don't put these in a front loader, not sure about a top loader as they will just suds up waaaaayyyyy too much!!

Then I will be using Omomatic sensitive (which is what we already use), but only use half as much as you would normally use for your normal wash, so it is less concentrated.

We both how ever have had skin problems, I had infantile Eczema from infancy, then grew out of it and developed Psoriosis as a teenager but that is hereditory and comes from the fathers side (my dad's dad has it), and DH has Dermititis - great pairing hey!!

I use the same stuff I use for our clothes, but I don't use fabric softer on the baby stuff. Oliver hasn't had a problem so far, if he did I would swap.

I would always use Amolin or Purity wash and softener.

I use omo sensitive now. I haven't had any problems with it.

Hi. I always used the same as us. & chuck in some vinegar instead of softener. It works the same & doesn't clog up your washing machine.

DD2 suffers from eczema, but it's never worried her.

good thread, ive been wondering the same lately too.. more so bout the fab softner considering i got a cuddly concentrate fab softner in the coles baby club welcome pack (confused me no end).. i previously didnt think baby clothes could have fab softner??!!
    thanks for the info!

I started off with Omo Sensitive and always washed all our clothes in together. I was too busy to sort out the baby's clothes to do a separate wash for him (not to mention all the vomiting and pooing that was going on, I needed to stay on top of it).

He started getting eczema at only 6 weeks of age so I stuck with the Omo Sensitive and eliminated fabric softener. When the eczema calmed down at about 6 months I tried to go back to "normal" detergent (eg Radiant, Omo, Drive) but DS would immediately get eczema flare ups that would calm down as soon as I went back to Omo Sensitive.

I have since found that Bio Zet (plain green box) also doesn't aggravate his skin so I use that now (often on special - Omo Sensitive is NEVER on special - and it has a fragrance, I really missed having nice smelling washing). I'm pregnant with Number Two now and will stick with the Bio Zet - I figure DS is a good barometer!

Long way of saying - yes, I would use a detergent for sensitive skin for the first few months. And no fabric softener, the residue stays on the clothes. You will soon figure out how sensitive your baby's skin is. Lucky you if not, it really is a pain!

I just use wool wash.. I used to use lux flakes but it is pretty expensive and I didn't like having to wait for the flakes to dissolve. lol..

~Belinda~ Guest

I have always used the same detergent as we use for my DD (Bio Zet or Cold Power) and even fabric softener (my DP loves the stuff lol), she's never had any issues but all babies are different

I used lux flakes for the first year - I've only just started moving across to am-o-lin. I would dissolve about a 1/4 cup of flakes in 2 cups boiling water (dissolves very quickly like that) and just add it into the wash.

most detergent boxes waaaay over-state the amount of detergent needed, I use half of what they suggest.

i also use a top-loader washing machine with my lux flakes....

If you're worried you've used too much detergent, put a little vinegar in the rinse, that will get rid of some of the soap.

I must be the odd one..

I never pre washed any of DS clothes before he wore them.. I am like I dont.. and he was totally fine. I was just going to have a lot of work on my hands.. if i did do it..

We use normal poweder/liquid never a problem..

good luck

May be a stupid question but why no fabric softener? I used it aon all DD's clothes and blankets etc. before she was born. Don't use it now - just use what we do but I had never heard about fabric softener?

Quote Originally Posted by JordieC View Post
    May be a stupid question but why no fabric softener? I used it aon all DD's clothes and blankets etc. before she was born. Don't use it now - just use what we do but I had never heard about fabric softener?
    It is because of fire danger. On most bottles it says, do not use on sleepwear or bedding ect. because of fire danger.

It's not just the fire danger but also that it can irritate the skin and has been linked with causing cancer. Having said that, I do use fabric softener. I never used it DD's clothes in the first few months. I just love the smell of it but got tired of washing DD's clothes seperately.
    Actually the chemicals used to make children's clothes and bedding fire retardant have been linked to cancer themselves... I don't quite understand why they need to be fire retardant in the first place. it's not like I'm gonna light a candle, smoke a cigarette, etc. near my baby. And if the house is on fire, I don't think fire retardant clothing will really make much difference... I either manage to get DD out of the house or I don't... Just my opinion...

To answer your question. I used my regular laudry detergent (Omo Matic or Trimat Matic (Aldi)) for DD's clothes. I just figured I would do that and if she started having problems with it (rashes...) then I could change to Omo Matic Sensitive or add an extra rinse cycle or both. But she never had any. And I definitely wouldn't have used anything that required hand washing. Wayyyy too much work.

Sasa

Hi girls
    I have used OMO sensitive and I use fluffy Pure/Gentle fabric softener (white little pack you mix your self). It makes all the clothes soft and smell wonderful. I have used this combo for both my children and plan to do it this time also until baby is 18 months old. I have even used them on hand washing (knitted jumpers etc). Also I have found that if I put all the hand washing stuff in a "gentle load" was ok.

Cheers
    Chris

HOPRAH Guest

Neither DH or I have any skin conditions but Lachlan has eczema so we used Amolin. It helped enormously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast