Thread: Does Size Matter - Nappy Bag?

Default Does Size Matter - Nappy Bag?

When shopping for a nappy bag does the size matter. I recently purchased an Oi O hobo nappy bag which I absolutely love! However, my DH took one look at it and said " Are you sure that is big enough? - I don't think it is". It has one compartment on the side and 2 seperate compartments on the other side with one main compartment in the middle and 1 side pocket on each side on the outside. I absolutely love this bag and have done since looking at it on the website. However, I am now having second thoughts that it will not be big enough.

I just want to know if everything that you need to have in your nappy bag will fit. (Nappies, clothes etc)

Does anyone else have a bag similiar and can provide any feedback (good or bad) to assist me in making a decision.

Many thanks in advance.

As we would say 'back in the olden days' the nappy bag I had was small and I used it for both DD. I had cloth nappies, cover, wipes, nappy cream, a change of clothes and odds and ends and it was plenty big enough.
    It depends if its the only bag you want to take with you. I always had my handbag as well.
    I myself never liked a big bag but some people do, its really a personal preference.

I haven't had any experience with nappy bags as I am expecting my first. But I had a look at this nappy bag after reading your post & I think it's awesome. The website says its 34x38x16cms, you wouldn't want it much bigger.
    I'm going to buy one so thanks!!

You are very welcome CheezelMonster!

Mine is the Diamond Quilt Oi Oi Hobo from Baby Bunting i case you are interested!

Happy shopping

I prefer a smaller one. I find too much gets "lost" in the bigger ones. As long as it's big enough to fit the essentials in it will be fine.

i think it really depends on what you are planning on using your nappy bag for - if you're formula feeding, you need to take more than if you're breast feeding. if you're using cloth nappies they take up more room than disposables. if you're going to be out for short amounts of time, you need a lot less than if you're out all day.

for me, i've gotten a bigger nappy bag as, living out here, i know that my days out will be long. i'm using cloth nappies and reusable cloth wipes, and hoping to breast feed, so i have a fair idea of what i'll need to take with me. having said that, almost everywhere i go will require me to go in the car, so i'll have spare stuff in the car anyway - i always have too much - but better to have too much than not enough (IMO)

i think you learn to pack within the limits of the space you have - and if you're going for a big day, you take more in the car (well, that's what everyone i've ever been out with has done!)

It depends what you are putting in i, esp when it comes to cloth or disposable nappies.
    But oioi bags tend to run on the large side anyway. What is your DH planning to take in the nappy bag that it needs to be so big?

I found that it was best to have at least 2 sizes of nappy bag. One for standard day-to-day outings and one for special/extended outings. I also never used to carry a handbag when i carried a nappy bag... so it had to fit all my things as well.

It wasn't until I had been through several brands and up to my 3rd child that I had the ideal arrangement. Two Kapoochie bags... the satchel and the small back pack. I alternated between both. I also choose a nappy bag based on function over and above "form" (fashion). It has to:

1. Fit on my pram (as I don't drive).
    2. Be highly durable as it gets rougher treatment that your average bag.
    3. Be water resistant.
    4. Have enough compartments eg for my mobile phone and wallet so that I don't have to rummage.

Don't feel bad about buying a bigger one for weekend/overnight trips if that's what you need.

I normally keep a beach bag in my car with a change of clothes for myself so I don't see why I would stop doing that. I might need 2 changes with a baby! I guess I could put a few extra nappies in there if needed as I am going to be using cloth.

Its just that I fell in love with the bag when I first looked on the website.. There are so many pretty nappy bags to choose from its hard to make a decision.

DoubleK Guest

i used to use one of the Supre enviro type bags
    a couple of nappies, change of clothes and a book or two and a drink bottle (for when she was older)

i plan to do the same again, but this time i might upgrade to a Cotton On enviro bag - i have heaps! and they are slightly bigger than the supre ones!