Thread: How do *you* do car seats?

Default How do *you* do car seats?

Hi ladies,
    Just a couple of questions regarding car seat arrangements for two bubs.
    DD is nearly 20 months, and bub #2 is due in eight weeks, so I'm currently having the dilemma of how to arrange the car seats/capsule in the back of our VZ Commodore. DD is (and has been since birth) seated in the middle of the back seat, but now I don't know what to do.
    My mum tells me that baby will go in the middle, and DD's seat should go behind the passenger seat (ie left-hand side of the car) because that side is safer (lol which explains why she insisted my brother sit on that side and I sit behind dad!!) in an accident (although obviously it depends on the accident, kwim?), but I'm a bit concerned about the logistics of it all.

I mean, if I put DD's seat on the left-hand side, I then have to go around (into traffic if I'm parallel-parked) to the other side to put baby in, because I can't reach over her car seat (it's very big). Then, when I think about the possibility of an accident, in my mind they *usually* happen when crossing an intersection against oncoming traffic - meaning that, because we drive on the left-hand side of the road, DD will be directly in the firing line if a car were to t-bone us (and my mother should know this because a driver ran a stop sign when we were kids and my brother was trapped in the car as his door was crushed - he wasn't injured though). So I'm not convinced that behind the passenger seat is statistically the safest, kwim??

But yeah, I'm just wondering, how do you guys do it with two kids?? One in the middle and one on one side (and which side do you choose), or both on the sides (ie middle space free)?? Should newborn go in the middle or should DD stay where she is because it's easier to get her in and out (she can climb up herself rather than having to be lifted in, meaning less reaching/straining etc involved)?

Advice is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Im havcing this dilemma as well, as DS has been in the middle since birth.
    The RACV installer i spoke to said to put DS behind the driver and the capsule/convertible seat behind the passenger. He seemed to think there was not much difference in safety between the two, but said it was illegal to put the capsule behind the drive becuase it has to be on the kerb side of the road?

I was wanting to have DS behind the passenger, and the baby in the middle, but that would make it really hard to get the capsule in and out of the car i think. Hmm 6 weeks to go we'd better get it sorted out!

When i had the 2 girls then i had DD2 behind passenger seat, and DD1 behind driver.

Now i have DS behind passenger, DD1 in middle seat, DD2 behind driver

We've got DS in his maxi rider behind the driver seat and DD's car seat (still in the reverse position) behind the passenger seat.

Aside from the fact that this recommended to be done this way - we wouldn't be able to put the baby seat behind the driver, as my husband is really tall (6 foot 7) and wouldn't be able to put the seat all the way back where he needs it to because the car seat would get in the way.

We have a VY Commodore. We have DD1's Maxirider behind the drivers, most of the time she will get in on the passenger side and duck under the baby seat and get in hers. We only have to open her door to strap her in. For the past 10 months we have had the baby seat in the middle, I found it easier. Often I could not open the passenger door enough to stand there and strap her in, this way I could sneak in and then kneel on the seat beside her whilst getting her in, great in rainy weather. Also it is a good position for when we have someone else in the car and that seat is great for putting bags etc. DH has just move the her seat to the side, so now the middle is free, I am still struggling with it, so I may get him to change her back.

We have DS1 behind the passenger, and DS2 in the middle. I'm not sure if things will change when we turn DS2's chair forward. I haven't really thought much about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh
    we wouldn't be able to put the baby seat behind the driver, as my husband is really tall (6 foot 7) and wouldn't be able to put the seat all the way back where he needs it to because the car seat would get in the way.
    That's the same with us. Lol.

Astrid - thats what I wanted to do initally, and i think i still do - have the baby seat/capsule in the middle. Do the seats both fit easily next to each other - we have a vx commodore wagon.

We had DD1 behind the driver and DD2 behind the passenger in our smaller car, but now we have gone to a people mover they are on opposite sides of the back row. i havent decided yet which if the middle row seats we will put DD3 in, I will have to check the laws about whether I can put her behind the driver up here, so that it is safer for getting the older 2 out on the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    ...as my husband is really tall (6 foot 7) and wouldn't be able to put the seat all the way back where he needs it to because the car seat would get in the way.
    Haha lol yes, I should have thought to mention that, too!! DH is an inch or two shorter than yours, but yes, he needs his legroom

Thanks very much ladies, now I have something to mull over I actually have the carseat my parents use in their car at my house atm so I might fiddle around when I have some spare time and see which way I think would work best for us.
    Thanks again!!

Hi,

I have a question, I am about to have number 3 and had planned on having DS 2 behind passenger seat in Maxi Rider, DS 1 in middle in Infa Vario Max booster, and baby in capsule behind drivers seat.

Neither my DH or I are overly tall so it isn't an issue for the drivers seat. My reasoning for this was that the boys could get in from the footpath rather than having the child on the drivers side run around to open their door which would put them on the road.

I wasn't aware that it was illegal to have a capsule behind the drivers seat, does anyone know anymore about this rule?

Thanks
    Meg

I have spoken to RACQ today, in Qld it is not illegal to have it on the driver's side. Maybe have a chat with Vicroads or RACV.

I have my bub behind driver and never had a problem.....havn't scene any laws about it though.

I basicaly have the same set up but my older two are older. but they get in and out on their own and wanted them on the footpath side of the car.

*knows this is a really dumb question*

What's a Maxirider?

A safe'n'sound car seat that converts to a booster.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    Astrid - thats what I wanted to do initally, and i think i still do - have the baby seat/capsule in the middle. Do the seats both fit easily next to each other - we have a vx commodore wagon.
    It is a tight fit. I found I had to re adjust the seat quite often to keep it sturdy. It did not help that DD1 would often pull it about when she moved about the car in search of out mints The seat is sturdier when on the side, rather than the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by alioops View Post
    A safe'n'sound car seat that converts to a booster.
    Ahh, thankyou See I knew it was a dumb question hahaha, I've just never familiarised myself with brand/model names - car seat A is the same as car seat B except for the price and the colour as far as I'm concerned lol

We had DS behind the passenger and DD rear facing in the middle. Now she is forward facing behind the driver.

We've kept DS on the passenger side for the same reason as others, I want him on the kerb side so he's not getting out into traffic.

if we go number 3 we will probably rearrange seats to fit bub in the middle rear facing. I'll just have to find a way of reaching over LOL. We have a people mover, but I'm not keen on using the back seats permanently.. need the boot too much hehe.

i've just hired a baby capsule from the ambulance and they fitted it and put it on the passenger side and she said it's far safer cause you'll always get bub out on the kerb side. it's not the law though just the way they like to do it.
    my DH is tall anyway so it suited us so he could put the seat back whilst driving.