Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hug a bub carrier

Diva- i honestly think if you hold onto your ergo for a few more months and then give it a try your critique will completely change.
    like previous posters have said, it is not great for babies under 6 months. but once your baby is over 6 months, i am sure you will find it much more appropriate.
    my ds is 9 months old and weighs 10kg. i use the ergo eveyday and have never had a problem putting it on- particularly in the front position. i find it distributes his weight very evenly across my back and it is very comfortable. i also find it very easy to just chuck on at the local shops etc. my dp who is 6ft1 also uses it, sometimes to do the vacuuming etc. and loves it.
    i just wouldn't want someone to come along and read this thread and think that ergos are a waste of money because personally i have found it to be extremely handy and wouldn't part with mine.
    jmo of course

I agree too Rainforest ... I wouldn't want to give anyone a false impression either.

I too think the ergo is brilliant for over 6 months ... for wandering around the house and trips into town and whatnot for all you wonderful yummy mummies in suburbia.

Unfortunately it just doesn't cut it for me ... and only me ... the lack of rain protection is, (I've discovered) a deal breaker with me ... some days I just HAVE to go out in the feral winds/rain and if I used an umbrella I'd get a free trip to Melbourne so our DS needs good weathergear too.

I also need a carrier that can handle a full days worth of stuff, not just him, but for me as well ... there's lots of times where we are far from home, or our "base" so we need to be little boy scouts and "be prepared" ... most of you lovely ladies have your car to run back to, or your homes ... it isn't always the case with us.

Please, please, please all you proud parents, remember that my case is unique, most of you will never have to fly for an hour to go to a hospital (we have one here, just not a major one that can scan/test/whatnot), or try and jam 5 appointments and an operation in the four days that you're staying there ... or have to limit everything to 30kg and make it as small as possible because the plane only seats eight and they have to load their stuff too ...

So for all you pondering princesses out there the ergo IS good for day to day stuff in suburbia ...

It's just not good for us ...

Both Hubby and I love the HAB. Ok, hubby did laugh his arse off at the instructional DVD because its full of 'hippies' (he keeps joking the HAB pocket is for stashing your stash), but he will happily wear it to carry Oliver around in. Both of us find it very comfortable though I tend to wear Oliver a bit lower than hubby. Oliver will happily nap with his face smooshed into my cleavage, and he also now likes facing out too. I never tried to BF in it, for me it was easier to take him out.

We borrowed SIL's Baby Bjorn knock-off (its Fisher Price, I think) for a holiday thinking it would be easier to clip on and off but after wearing it around the house for 15 mins I had to take it off because it was hurting so much - and this was when Oliver was 14 weeks old! Hubby complained it was equally uncomfortable for him. We took the HAB and it was great.

Personally I like the front pocket because you just shove the HAB in the pocket and turn the pocket inside out to hold it all. I can just drop the bag under the pram for when Oliver cracks it and doesn't want to ride - I don't drive so its a long walk home to try and carry him and push the pram.

I probably could have made my own but I looked at the resale value on ebay and decided I couldn't be bothered since I could recoup most of my cost if I didn't like it. I did see a similar sling called a Bear Hug which was cheaper.

I think my brain is boggling at all the possibilities! So I have some questions - had thought I might go an ergo, as DH in partic is keen to wear it, and we have a weekly event for which a harness would be perfect. But then I've a friend who has a second hand baby bjorn (un-used) which i was tempted to get as it would be better to start with.

I also like the look of the HAB, but i know DH... he's not very... um.. "spatially" inclined when it comes to tying/manipulating clothing and I can't ever see him getting comfortable with how to tie it. But then, he's also tall 6"4' - so I'm wondering if the BB or Ergo would be that comfy on him anyway? I'm short(er) at 5"2' (yes, we're an odd pair) with big BB's (only gonna get bigger!) so mebbe I'd be like Diva'n'Dan (*waves hello* ) and not find an Ergo all that comfy? Other option is to go creative (once I've fixed my sewing machine) and try making a HAB for me....? As well as, or instead of getting the BB for him.

I guess what I'm wondering is... what are the chances of both of us finding something that suits both our very different physiques? Or should we just wait & see once bubs is here, and borrow others to find out what works?

Although I'm not the biggest fan of them as they are a one shoulder thing, Ring Slings are very adjustable and should be fine for both you and your DH.

If I was you, I think I would get the BB (you're gonna get it really cheap, right?) for when your DH is wearing bub and then buy some fabric and amke a HAB. You won't even need your sewing machine.

I wouldn't get an Ergo until Bub is a little older and you really know whether you will need it or not. Some people start out with great intentions to wear their baby a lot and then don't end up doing it much. If you do decide you want to give the Ergo a go, I would go to a Babies Galore or wherever they sell them and ask to try one with your baby. That way you cna see how well it fits you and DH.

My Dh didn't really like the HAB for himself because it was to "Hippy" for him and just too Mother Earth-ly. I do have the red one with the Aboriginal Print on it, though. But I love it. He did wear it a few times, but I tied him up ;-) He thought it was very comfortable but I don't think he would wear it out and about.

Saša

Diva - you're not supposed to "wrap" their legs around you in the ergo until they're older than 6 months. You use the infant insert and have their legs together with their feet out one side of the pouch, with their head on the other side. Try it that way and it might change the way you feel about it. I have used it with my newborn (now 8 weeks old) and its brilliant.

belfie- i have to tie my dp into the hab as well, but once he has it on, he's fine.
    my dp is 6'1 and he really likes wearing the ergo. he finds it very comfortable.
    if you can find a cheap hab -maybe from ebay- or make your own until your baby is 6 months, and then purchase an ergo- i think that would be the best way to do it.
    for my next baby i plan to do exactly that- use my hab until 6 months or so, then use the ergo.

I did it - we made a HAB thanks to the directions on here and it works perfect with the directions on the mamatoto website. Thanks again

Well done for making a HAB. It is really comfortable.

For everyone who is thinking about an ergo for after or a BB, have a look at the pikkolo by catbird baby. It seems really comfy though I haven't worn it for a long period of time yet. IT is easy to put on and can go from NB to toddler. It doesn't have the accessories that ergo has but it depends when you will use it and where there is a will there is always a way. It is also much prettier than the ergo, I think and looks less 'hippyish"? Not meaning to offend just my opinion. Just thought I would throw that into the mix.

HOPRAH Guest

We used an Ergo Baby Carrier and I thought it was well worth every cent. I borrowed a friends Bjorn once and it nearly broke my back. Do you have friends you can try theirs first?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123