Thread: MAXI RIDER AHR - What Age????

Default MAXI RIDER AHR - What Age????

Ok so we LOVE LOVE LOVE our Maxi Rider for DD1 and i was thinking that instead of paying to have DD2's seat turned around and then in a couple of months time paying to change to a maxi rider i would just skip 1 step and put her straight into a maxi rider.

BUT.....

The lady at Baby Bunting said NOT to put her in 1 until she is ATLEAST 1 yr old, the guy who fits them also suggested this... WHY WHY WHY????

Don't get me wrong i am ALL for safety and if it's not safe for her i wont do it but how young was your little one when you put them in a maxi rider?

I have asked the safe n sound people on their FB page so will give you a response.

Currently we have a turn-a-tot, they are made 'short' to allow for the turning action and the way DD2 is growing i am 100% she will outgrow it way before her big sister ever did which means i would be paying to turn her seat around onyl to a couple of months later be paying for a new seat and to have it installed again.

I have a friend who is PG and i would be happy to give her my old car seat but i can't until DD2 is out of it

TIA.

DD as around 17 mths when she went in but the bigger concern is actually weight not age? I kept mine rear facing until at least 15 mths.

ETA - Just had a look and its not 14 kgs like i had in my head, its 8kgs. I would be keeping her rear facing as long as you can though so if you can stick with her rear facing for a few more months that would probably be better and give her time to catch up to any weight or age restrictions.

My DD went into the maxi at around 1 year of age. I recently purchased a new car seat for DD2 to go into when we eventually have no 3. The car seat is a infa secure and a damned lot cheaper than maxi (around $200 vs $400) and thanks to things changing in the past few years safety things etc the infa secure has a higher safety rating than the maxi nowadays. Sales person told me she could go into it any time from then (she was 11 months). I have kept her in the baby seat (lazy).

However, car seat has been turned around since she was 6mths. The turning of the car seat is weight based AND the child needs to have good head control, be sitting up well etc.

Hope this helps!!

It does say from 8kg, but I wouldn't put a young child/baby in a maxi rider. I waited until Emily was about 16 months old before putting her in it.

DD was 19 months when she went into the maxi-rider. Yep, definitely more of a weight thing than age based.

i've put my almost 11month old in his cousins once or twice since about 7 months he is a big fella weight and length but yeah if I was up for a new seat I'd happily put him in our spare maxi now

ooh gosh, I know it's weight based, but the Maxi is nowhere near as supportive as an infant seat. My DD is an amazon child so really really tall (think the average 7yo and that was her at 3) and she didn't outgrow her carseat until 2. I preferred to keep her in there until she was 2. Even though the maxi is weight rated from 8, the infant seat should go to about 18kg I think?
    It doesn't recline as far either from memory. A little bub wouldn't be in the head safety zone either would they?

Thanks everyone, i wasn't planning on doing until she reaches the weight limit anyway, she is quite long and will outgrow the turn-a-tot long before her sister did.
    I am planning on keeping her rear facing for some time, i might even wait until 12mths (aslong as she's not too long) and then pop her in the maxi!

Mine were all around 10-12mths but had been sitting for a very long time on their own by then so their head control was excellent. I would def wait to as close to 12mths as possible or/and maybe until she's been sitting on her own (sitting herself up I mean) for a little bit.

I have just put DS in our maxi rider AHR at 20 months. I probably would have been happy to do so maybe 2 months earlier but not much before that. He really likes it though - has fun playing with the arm rests and cup holders

Thanks again everyone, she has been sitting since 5mths and has excellent head control and is starting to pull herself up to sitting so i might just wait until the 12mths and then pop her straight into a maxi rider... will give us more room in the car and she will enjoy being like her big sister.