Thread: Movement in Carseats

Question Movement in Carseats

I recently brought a SnS Compaq Delux and followed the instruction in fitting it to my car, but DH is worried the seat moves to much.
    It moves forward and back and side to side, so we're wondering how much a car seat should move?

How much movement is unacceptable?

What can we do to reduce the amount of movement?

Roll up a cloth nappy and place that behind the seat.. Movement is good but obviously not to much.. If you want go to your local baby shop (or Kmart tyre shop -they fit seats too) and ask if they can check it out for you..

What aussienic said We've just installed that same seat, and with a rolled up towel behind it (with the advice from the dude at Qld Ambulance) it doesn't have much movement at all now.

Do you have a locking clip for it, our seat was the same and I just thought it must have been normal although to me seemed so unsafe, I was then old to get a locking clip, now you can shake the car seat with all your strength and it wont move - let me know if you need more info. They are not expensive and its just a metal clip.

I had mine fitted by the Red Cross and there was a bit of movement (more than I would have expected), when I asked the fitter about it he educated me that you do need to have a bit of movement in it so that in an accident it will absord the impact better. If it doesn't move at all it can increase injury ..... Food for thought!

I found when i had my seat installed in the middle seat,it moved from side to side quite a bit because the middle seat was raised up and so the child seat would slide. I recently had to move it to the seat by the door and while it still moves a bit, it is nowhere near as much.