Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursery...what did you do?

Question Nursery...what did you do?

Just thought I would throw this one out there, I'm trying to make Charlie's nursery look a bit better...so thought I would ask;

What theme did you do (if you chose a theme)?
    What's your favourite item, or bargain buy?
    What have you made yourself?

Pics would be great too....i would put a pic up of Charlie's - if I could just figure out how lol.

I've don't have a theme as such, I've just stuck to primary colours & have most wood & tin items...lots of vintage things. I made my own rug stand, which I love & displays the beautiful rugs that were made for him. He's getting a Vintage Fire Truck for Christmas too, so can't wait for that. Just need to set it all up a bit better.
    Ooooh yeah & my bargain buy was an old style lolly machine on ebay.

Last edited by Erin_25; November 29th, 2007 at 05:13 PM.

I had to wait until y grandmother moved out before I could start Phoebe's room and unfortunately she was already home by the time that happened. So her room is still a bit of a shamble and work in progress. For the most it is done all bar one wall on which I want to paint a rainbow. I didnt want to paint a mural on her walls I thought it would be a bit much so I did her wardrobe doors instead. Her room is really girly, a soft pastel purple with butterflies, dragonflies and fairies. My mother found a big gorgeous coloured glass hummingbird that hangs from her ceiling light . All her furniture is dark wood. I've dotted the walls and her door with stickers (b'fly, d'fly) I've found in various shops.

I had been planning our babies room since we started trying in 2004 and the idea of what i wanted stuck in my head. Natalie's room has a sky blue backgroud and on one of the walls there is a mural. My friend is a graphic designer and she helped me to trace images out childrens books. The theme is 'in the sky' so we have teddy bears jumping out of an aeroplane, driven by a turtle. There are also hot air balloons with lions, a panda and bunny in each. There are clouds in the background with smaller and larger images. I helped her to do it from my 6th month of pregnancy. I Finished a week before Natalie was born and was so proud. Although i am happy to be moving out...i am sad to be leaving the mural behind. Am thinking of taking a picture and going to big W to get it put onto a big canvas so she can still have it in her room. Of course she will still see it when she is older and sleeping at her grand parents house where we currently live. Good luck. I will try to look for a picture for u
    Last edited by Mez80; November 29th, 2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Lots of typos

We painted Mackenzie's room a beautiful green because we didn't know what she was going to be. I'm glad we did cause it's such a nice colour and goes really well with her dark wood furniture.

There's no real theme but I did have one rule: NO Winnie the Pooh pictures - they annnoy me! She has a teddy picture, A,B,C plaques and I made her name by painting wooden letters diff shades of pink and decorating them with buttons, ribbons etc. Her name art is my favourite thing.

Bargain buy - prob the beautiful rocking chair which we got from a friend for $100.

We werent sure what sex our bub was going to be so we found it tricky to choose a theme. Instead, we tried to make it all gender neutral. We bought some canvas squares and painted colourful animals on them. One of them is of a pink pig on a green bckground and she LOVES to look at it. Cant take her eyes off it. Anyway, we did a few of those - a pig, monkey, dragon, seal and dinosaur. They are gorgeous bright bold colours and brighten up her room. We didnt paint the walls though as we thought the paint that was there already was fine.

Bargain buy was a nice rug we got from Ikea. We dont use it in her room anymore, its in aother room, but its a lovely rug, and I think it was only like $50 or something. For her floor we now use those number and letter tiles. You know, the coloured foam ones that fit together? The other thing I really like is a lamp we got at one of those stalls they have in the middle of the shopping centres at Xmas time. I put a yellow globe in it so the light was softer.

We dont have any licensed stuff, no Winnie the Pooh or other characters. Just the stuff we have made.

Smile

We are renting so painting was out but changing the curtains made a huge difference and was a bargain. I used baby blue tab curtains with sheer white organza in the middle. We chose blue and green for colours as we knew we were having a boy, and an animal theme. Pretty easy to put together.

Ours is red and blue (we have a boy). The walls are just cream though, we use other things to add colour. I've got up two posters from 1969 that were in my room when I was a baby. They are the original book promotion posters (on cardboard) for two different Peter Rabbit books. I put them on a blue background (as the drawings have a lot of blue in them) and have them in big frames on the wall.

Riley's room has a different colour on each wall...bright green, lighter green, yellow and orange. I painted it on the day that we were waiting for him to thaw out (he was a frozen embryo) and it was good to paint it such happy cheery colours. And I hung some yellow curtains. Looks unreal.

I wanted to buy some tiny tiny bonds singlets or jumpsuits and dye them orange, green and yellow and hang them on one of the walls above his dresser, but I still haven't gotten around to it. Instead I blew up three of my fave photos of him and framed them. And I bought a wooden word ( "imagine") in cursive writing and that is in the middle of the biggest wall.

Our bargain buy was actually the whole nursery. We got all the furniture and linen and pram and car seat and everything in one package deal for a steal. The linen is KidsLine Barnyard and it goes really well with the colours of his room.

I just love his room. It is such a happy place that smells good and looks good and feels good.

We're building ATM so my new nursery will be painted a pale yellow, with white cot and nursery furniture. Very neutral and peaceful.

When DH and I were on our honeymoon in the US, we were at Disneyland and picked up some Disney character prints which we will have framed and hung in the nursery. We picked them out even before we decided TTC!

Scarlet's nursery is Butterfly themed, We have polished timber flooring and matching wooden furniture which we restored ourselves (made sure it all met the safety standards) I left all the walls white but painted a magenta/hot pink feature wall, I bought 5 pairs of little girls costume fairy wings from a cheap store, turned them into butterflys and attached them to silver canvasses to make 3D pictures which hang at all different levels on the feature wall - She'd stare at it for hours if i let her! I went mad buying every butterfly thing i could find. I love the butterfly cushions they sell at IKEA.

Her window has timber blinds to keep the sun out but i put up purple and pink sheer tap top curtains that have tiny little mirrors on them, They look really in the sun.
    DF put short timber display shelves at different heights all around the room, I use them to display, books, photo's, bright plush toys and all the little knick-knacks
    My electrician friend dropped the light down for us too so it was a dangly light (lol, i don't know how to explain it) and we fitted a beautiful chinese lantern style paper butterfly shade over it.

We have no commercial characters in her nursery either, I really don't like any of them.

I love her nursery so much - It puts shame to our bedroom .lol.

Oh wow they all sound great. You have all given me some great ideas. I love making things myself, love the idea of dying singlets etc. Some pics would be great if you guys know how to upload them.
    I'm currently thinking of decoarting a box & putting all Charlie's special little things from when he was born that won't be used again or that I want him to pass on, like his blue booties etc...hopefully that too will have a place in his nursery. Saving up some $$$ atm so I can get some canvas photos of him too.

Once we have painted the nursery a teal or aquamarine colour and carpeted the floor....we intend to turn it into an underwater world!!! There wil be removable fish stickers on the wall, 3D dolphins, octopus, etc. There also will be a fish mobile hanging and some cute canvas paintings of sea creatures as well. Can't wait to get started. We are having a boy but this way the room is unisex if we have a second baby and move our first into another bedroom.
    Mel

Bubs is going in our room so no decorating... but the linen is white with red and navy gingham bears (its subtle though) and the furniture is white wood. I'm still looking for white wicker baskets with red and navy gingham lining (or empty ones I'll line myself) and I will make something to frame for the walls, not sure if I'm going to draw something or just do bubs name (can't do name letters as hubby doesn't like them). If I get myself together I might make some bunting (string of triangles).

I doubt I'll do much more than that if bubs does move into the other room while we are living here as bubs will be sharing with my etching press (weighs a ton and is not moving). If we move before then I might do something, but I doubt it will be anything full on.

We don't do licensed characters and I also can't stand Winnie the Pooh.

What theme did you do (if you chose a theme)?well for this baby we have chosen gossmere wings (I know that isnt spelled right hehe. but its beautiful butterflies!

What's your favourite item, or bargain buy? I like everything in here nursery!

What have you made yourself? a name plaque thing...it has her name in big letters colors of pink, blue, and purple with a big pink butterfly! I made the whole thing myself and I think it just looks really cute with the other nursery things

soldierswifey Guest

In our little twin boys nursery, we needed a bigger room so we could have 2 of cribs and things, so we transformed ouf den into a nursery so ita a much bigger space. My husband is a big outdoorsy person in the military and he wanted mossy oak camoflauge done, so our walls i had proffessionally painted looks like the woods and has a deerstand thats wooden and is actually a cabin that was special built for our boys in the corner, my mom and grandma made the bumpers for the bed and crib set with mossy oak fabric and trimmed everything in a light blue ribbon, the furniture is a dark wood and both cribs are round, They were also home made , my uncles a carpenter and he built both of them, the legs on the bottom areb made to look like tree stumbs, and the top is made in the same way.. we have two rocking chairs that were re upholstered in a brown , and the changing table was made to match the cribs... we are still working on the rest of it, but since my husbands is in another country serving his country we thought we'd surprise him with the theme he asked for, although he thinks its a jungle theme because i toook pics of my sisters nursery and sent them to him... i told him i just couldn't find camo bedding, but i hope he is surprised...

We didn't know what sex we were haivng so we tried to go gender neutral. I painted the walls this pretty pale lime green, and painted the doors and trim white. Then we put down white tiles on the floor and added a white dresser, white shelves, and a white crib and change table. Then I made curtains, a quilt, and a crib ruffle in a bright lemon yellow with jungle animals. I also made some framed pictures with the leftover fabric (one lime frame, one yellow, and one white).

Theme: Jungle, Lemon/Lime
    Best buy: second hand cib and change table, $120 for the pair
    I made: curtains, 2 quilts, a crib ruffle, several receiving blankets, framed pictures

We ... well ...I wanted a green and yellow nursary with an under the sea theme. You have NO IDEA how hard that is proving!!!
    You just can't get under the sea stuff here in tazzie!! It's all bl**dy farm animals! We live in a rural area, so the kid is going to see enough farm animals when it arives!
    We did spot on the net removeable wall mural stickers. (can't remember the site off the top of my head.) But they are REALLY expensive! There is a coral reef sticker that is 3' x 7'. but it's $250.!!!! I think I'll be saving up for that one. We rent, so we can't paint, so stickers we can remove and take with us sounds great!

DH wants racing cars. We don't know what the sex is going to be, and even if it was a boy, I think I would want something a bit more gentle and relaxing. And I love the sea, and it's a sex neutral theme.

Found that site if anyones interested:
    Walls of the Wild Australia
    Lots of stuff on there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast